Chocolate Pound Cake
Posted: 07 December 2010 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-12-07

HELP!

I have tried the Chocolate Pound Cake from the Chocolate baking book by Rose and the Bernachon’s 7 times at last count.  Each time the same thing happens….
The cake burns on the sides and top, yet is still raw in the center after an hour of baking (the time listed in the recipe is 40 minutes)

I have triple checked the oven and it holds temp perfectly.  I also tried different pans.

The recipe calls for the pound cake to bake at 400 degrees (which seems high) for only 40 minutes (which is short for most pound cakes)

How can I get this right???

Posted: 08 December 2010 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Hmmm, it makes sense that any cake baked for 50% longer than the time specified would be burned on the outside.  And the recipe says to tent with foil after 25” to prevent overbowning. 

The best thing would be to use an instant read thermometer, to see what the temp of the center is when the cake comes out of the oven.  Something close to 200F should be right.  If it is still too wet/seems like it’s raw at that temp, then the problem isn’t in the oven but rather the formula or technique.

Things to check:  Are you weighing all ingredients, including eggs?  Are you sure the whites are being beaten to very stiff peaks?  Is your pan an 8 cup loaf pan?

You could also ask Rose for help, over on the blog.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 08 December 2010 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Wow seven times is giving it a fair try. I haven’t tried that recipe though others from that book have turned out well. 400 does seem high. Are you perhaps using a convection oven?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 10 December 2010 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-12-07

Thanks for the replies.

No, I’m am not using a convection oven.  Yes, I’m using an 8-cup pan
Yes, I have achieved “stiff peaks”.  Yes, I weighted the ingredients.

Am following the recipe to the letter….

Also, the texture is somewhat rubbery…..

Posted: 10 December 2010 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

hmmm Stabs in the dark. Sorry. It may not be your technique. It could be the recipe. Rubbery might be a clue but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that this cake is supposed to be a bit rubbery. Though it could also be an indication of too much protein in the flour or too much mixing. The recipe calls for unbleached flour which in the states is higher protein than European flour. Try messaging Rose directly in one of her Blog threads she is pretty good about answering.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 10 December 2010 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-05

try lowering the oven 25 degrees—are you using a dark pan? is your oven baking fast? suggestion: try the chocolate bread in the cake bible!