Problem with Moist Chocolate Genoise
Posted: 09 December 2010 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-12-09

Hi everyone,

I’ve baked Roses’s Moist Chocolate Genoise 3 times, and every time the lower portion of the cake was much denser than the upper portion. The recipe calls for lots of water, whisked with melted chocolate and i think the water makes the egg foam bottom heavy. For all attempts I whip the egg and sugar foam on high speed for more than 10 minutes with my kitchenaid mixer. I get a very stable foam to which I add the flour and water-chocolate mixture. I made sure the liquid water-chocolate got folded in homogenously before baking. But everytime the cake bottom is always much denser. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Posted: 09 December 2010 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-09

Thanks for your replies, Julie and Bill. I think this could be the problem!! I didn’t simmer the chocolate!! What I did was I left the chocolate to melt in hot water like how ganache is made.  I shall try once more with the simmering! Thanks for your help!!

I remember that I made a Japanese castella cake once that called for water to be added to the foam, and the cake turned out denser at the bottom too..

Julie, can I know why I shouldn’t exceed 62% for the cocoa content?

Posted: 10 December 2010 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-09

Alright, I tried once more, this time simmering the chocolate in water for a full 5 minutes. I get a pudding like consistency. This time i mixed the flour into the chocolate mixture first, before folding into the foam. The bottom is still heavy, but not as much as before. Here’s a photo. I used baking paper to line my aluminium bake tin, without any flour or butter. Could this be a contributing factor to the denser cake bottom? I would like a perfectly homogenous cake..

Image Attachments
bottom heavy.jpg

Posted: 10 December 2010 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2007-11-05

beating too long can also be a problem. be sure to use the correct type of flour and if you are weighing there is a better chance of using the correct amount. too little flour can cause this denser bottom as it doesn’t give the foam enough support.

Posted: 10 December 2010 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-09

Thanks for your replies!!

Yes I do weigh my ingredients to the gram with an electronic balance. The only thing I didn’t weigh was the eggs. Do you think that the denser bottom might be caused by the parchment paper? I just use plain parchment paper without any oil or flour when lining my aluminum tin.

Posted: 10 December 2010 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

absolutely weigh your eggs—they can vary as much as510%. parchment isn’t the problem. possibly too much folding deflates the mixture.

Posted: 10 December 2010 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

that’s your answer. you may have no pellets but you are deflating the mixture this way. i’ve always beaten and high speed in a stand mixer for 5 minutes and then folded it in by hand and i get the texture i’m looking for. have you actually tried it the way the recipe is written?

Posted: 10 December 2010 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-09

Alright, I will weigh my eggs and give it another try! The moist chocolate genoise has pleasant soft nougat-like texture when refridgerated, possibly due to the cocoa butter from the chocolate. It’s exactly what I’m looking for in my cake, so I’ll keep trying until I get it right!!