Filling suggestions
Posted: 09 December 2010 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I would like to make a lintzer style gingerbread cookie using Rose’s gingerbread dough this year.  I have the dough already made and in the freezer.  I am just not sure what flavor of filling would pair well with gingerbread.  Gingerbread is already a spicy dough, I think something mild would be best with it.  I just don’t know what.

Posted: 09 December 2010 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Well, I was sitting here tonight thinking about a filling and I think that a dark chocolate ganache would make a perfect filling.  I can’t wait to try it.

Posted: 09 December 2010 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Sorry Liza, I saw your post but have no suggestion at all. I’ve never made gingerbread cookies before. I actually hardly make cookies so can’t give any suggestion. Ganache sounds good though.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 December 2010 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Liza!  I’m with you re the chocolate.  I’ve had chocolate covered ginger before, and it’s awesome, so I think a ganache filling would be great!!!

A honey cream cheese or brown sugar cream cheese might also be nice if you wanted two different fillings.

Please post pics, whatever you go with!!!!!

Posted: 10 December 2010 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Ginger also pairs well with many fruits. Apricot preserves would be my favorite. Apple, Orange, Pear, Pineapple, Peach. You could do an assortment.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 10 December 2010 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, I make Rose’s gingerbread every year, and top the cookies with a variety of things.  My favorites are white chocolate (even though I’m not a white chocolate fan) and pecan.  I like a dark milk chocolate (around 40%), like Scharffenberger a little better than dark chocolate, but haven’t tried ganache, maybe that would be similar.  I also have used caramelized sugar to glue gingerbread houses together, and loved that flavor combo. 

I’m going to try Gene’s suggestion of apricot!  I need a new topping to throw in the mix this year smile.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 10 December 2010 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I think that I will stick with the chocolate. 

Julie, I think that I will also try the white chocolate too this year.  My kids are not a big fan of cookies that have any type of fruit filling or topping, so I might make only a few of those for myself and my husband.