Schlepping Holiday Cookies: Suggestions for tins and spoilage
Posted: 10 December 2010 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-08-16

Hi all and happy holidays.

I travel home every year.  A 2 day drive, a week before Christmas.  This year I have started baking for fun and am still a beginner.

I found 6 inch cookie tins at the dollar store and I have what may be an ambitious idea…to make 6 inch shortbreads and layer them in the cans between parchment paper.

Have I lost my mind?

What do you think?

How long will they keep?

Is there a cookie that will keep for 2 weeks?

Safe Travels!

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 10 December 2010 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I don’t know about shortbread but sugar cookies can keep up for a week - in a dry climate. I’ve never tried keeping them for longer, so they might be okay but can’t tell you for sure. Make sure you store them in airtight container.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 December 2010 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-16

Thanks Jenn

Maybe I will schepp the ingredients and bake when I get there smile

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 12 December 2010 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-16

This will give sweet Rose nightmares…but…we have a cookie swap at work this week and I am boycotting buying more ingredients, saving gas for the trek north, so I went looking for a way to make cookies or cookie bars from the 2 yellow cake mixes that I have from a Publix buy one get one sale. ( I keep those on hand for a quick at work birthday that I find out about the night before.) I have a Cake Mix Doctor recipe that would use up these and also the leftover frozen cranberries from Thanksgiving, but they fell a little short.  What to do?  Buy another bag?  nahh! I have craisins.  So, after searching the internet for how to re-hydrate the craisins, the are right now sitting in leftover riesling wine that was too sweet to drink.  I’ll let you know what happens.  LOL

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 17 February 2011 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-02-17

I have baked and shipped cookies for years. Rose’s Almond Crescents will hold-up for a month as will Springerle (they improve with age). Don’t forget about her Lebkuchen (gum arabic is carried by Spice Sage). Working ahead and freezing cookies also helps maintain freshness.  Rose mentions freezing batches of shortbread and warming just a few cookies it in the oven (pilot only) as needed.

Posted: 17 February 2011 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-16

Thanks do you remember which book ?

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 17 February 2011 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Vera, the book is Rose’s Christmas Cookies.

Thanks Rosebush! I just got the book and am looking forward to try all the goodies in there. Good to know some of the cookies last a long time.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 February 2011 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27
Vera - 10 December 2010 11:49 AM

Is there a cookie that will keep for 2 weeks?

You could freeze them.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach