Bread flour or AP Flour Brioche
Posted: 10 December 2010 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-12-10

I have been baking for some time now , mostly cakes and cookies ..however i would like to attempt baking brioches , cinnamon raisin buns and special breads .
The Brioche recipe i am considering mentions the use of Bread Flour ..and there r some brioche recipes that state Unbleached AP flour .
will the choice of Flour produce a superior / inferior quality Briache ..a k a rich mans / poor mans brioche   ???
would appreciate the input . grin

Posted: 11 December 2010 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
klueless - 11 December 2010 02:27 AM

The Brioche recipe i am considering mentions the use of Bread Flour ..and there r some brioche recipes that state Unbleached AP flour .  will the choice of Flour produce a superior / inferior quality Briache ..a k a rich mans / poor mans brioche   ???
would appreciate the input . grin

I doubt you’d be able to tell the difference between one made with bread and one made with AP, unless you compared them side by side; even then, your technique might have mattered more than the slight differences between the flours.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 11 December 2010 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

AP will give a more tender texture, but the quantity of butter will be more important in determining the texture and flavor.  Less butter will give a lighter, higher brioche, while more butter will give a denser, richer, more cake-like brioche.  At least one overnight in the fridge will boost flavor as well. 

It is probably worth using the flour called for in the recipe, as a change to the flour may also mean you need to make adjustments to the hydration.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

‹‹ atta vs 00 flour      Bagel flattened ››