softer crust?
Posted: 30 March 2008 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-03-30

k…first post here…i’ve got a question—whenever i make my plain yeast bread, it always come out with a loose crumb, but a very firm crust, making it impossible to use as sandwich bread. What can I do to correct this? I’ve heard that the loose crumb can be corrected with more kneading—is this correct? As for the crust, I’ve been told brushing the crust with butter as soon as it’s out of the oven and laying a tea towel over the loaf while it cools helps.

Does anyone know if these suggestions work? Or are there any better ways of getting there?

It should be noted, i guess, that i’m not using a recipe from The Bread Bible here, but rather from Taste of Home’s Complete Guide to Baking.

Thanks!

Posted: 15 October 2009 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

The loose crumb does sound like a lack of gluten development which can also be caused from a lack of moisture, not just insufficient kneading. If you want a thinner crust, you can bake at a higher temperature.  I think the butter does soften the crust somewhat, but it mostly adds flavor. I have used the towel trick for some quickbreads, and that works too, not sure how it would be for a sandwich loaf though.

‹‹ Pain de Mie question      softer crust? ››