Cleaning Pastery Bags
Posted: 13 December 2010 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-12-11

Has anyone got a technique they like for cleaning pastry bags?

When I get done, I wash the outside with a brush, soap and water. Then I turn it inside-out and repeat the process. Finally, I rinse it thoroughly with hot water. Despite my best efforts, when I come back to it, it smells rancid.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

Posted: 13 December 2010 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ll agree, they’re hard to clean.  I wash them multiple times, until I can no longer smell anything when they are freshly rinsed in hot water. This usually takes three or more washings. :(

Lately, I’ve gone the disposable route, in part because I started using polycarbonate tips and they don’t fit my reusable bag.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 13 December 2010 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I use the Wilton featherweight pastry bags. I usually wash them in warm water with soap, I wash the outside and the inside, I don’t turn them inside out. They never smell rancid, though when I use them for buttercream, they require several washing, otherwise they are still greasy inside. Then I dry them by putting them over a spatula that’s on a drying rack, so the insides have some air and can air-dry properly. I wait until they are completely dry before I store them. How do you dry yours?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 13 December 2010 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

Unless you need a really BIG bag - I’d say put them away and buy some disposable ones.  The big c raft stores offer coupons of 50% off take it and buy a 100 bag box.

Posted: 13 December 2010 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

I think Hector suggested throwing them in the washing machine!  I`ve done this with no ill effects.  My wilton bags smell less than the one large wax coated one that I have.

Posted: 14 December 2010 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-02-17

I wash them inside and out with regular dish soap. then I leave them drying propped on a long cooking spoon, that way they dry nicely. I’ve never experienced mildew smell. In fact they smell like butter!

‹‹ Adjustable Flan      Baking in 3" tall pans ››