1 of 3
What is your FAVORITE Rose recipe?
Posted: 18 November 2007 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

What is the one recipe by Rose that has blown your mind, knocked your socks off, and left you so speechless, you wondered if you would ever be able to speak again?  That one recipe that buckled your knees, distorted your vision, and left you scheming to hide the entire thing so you wouldn’t have to share it with anyone else?

And no cheating ... I know she is a wizard and has hundreds of fabulous recipes ... but you have to pick just ONE wink

For me - hands down, her Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte.  The first time I tasted it, I thought the top of my head was going to come off.  And every time I make it for someone else, I get the exact same reaction.

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 18 November 2007 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Cordon Rose Cheese Cake. It’s the only vanilla cheesecake I have made for years and years.  Actually, I got this recipe first from a friend of my mother’s at least 20 years ago, and it is scaled for a 10 inch cake.  Always on the lookout for different recipes, when I saw Rose’s Cordon Rose Cheesecake, I said to myself, this is the recipe I use scaled to a 9 inch cake.  So wherever it came from, this is my favorite Rose recipe, it’s cheesecake to perfection for my taste.

MrsM

Posted: 19 November 2007 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Uh, but, how…  sigh!  Okay, I was going to say Mousseline Buttercream, but if I had to pick the buckle your knees one it’s got to be the Dark Chocolate Ganache.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 19 November 2007 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2007-11-17

This is an easy one: Golden Butter Cream Cake

I love butter, and this cake has lots of it.  It is also somewhat dense and yet feels light; it can stand alone with just a dusting of icing sugar but also goes with buttercream.  In my eyes, it is perfect and I have never been able to successfully serve it to guests, because it tends to… umm… disappear before guests arrive.

I could sing endless paeans to this cake.  LOL

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 19 November 2007 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-11-15

Sour Cream Butter Cake(butter cake category; great for tea)
Golden Genoise(sponge cake category; my effort to reduce “wastage” of egg whites sometimes leads to my own “6yolks+3-4whites” version)
Orange Glow Chiffon(layer cake category!!! the softest, lightest,never-drying and no need to be bothered with injecting syrup)

Posted: 19 November 2007 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Julius - 19 November 2007 04:39 AM

TIn my eyes, it is perfect and I have never been able to successfully serve it to guests, because it tends to… umm… disappear before guests arrive.

Funny, I seem to have the exact same problem wink

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 19 November 2007 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

Ah, cheesecake!

I do make a lemony version, using lemon sugar, lemon extract and extra lemon zest (with an animal cracker crust) sometimes, but the basic recipe is the same.

Posted: 20 November 2007 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-11-15

Well, if you’re going to twist my arm and make me name just one, I’d have to say the apple pie (so far).  It tastes more like an apple than an apple does.

Signature 

Save the earth.  It’s the only planet with chocolate.

Posted: 20 November 2007 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Janis - 20 November 2007 02:14 PM

Well, if you’re going to twist my arm and make me name just one, I’d have to say the apple pie (so far).  It tastes more like an apple than an apple does.

That comment made me laugh out loud! LOL

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 20 November 2007 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

It goes without saying that this is a hard question.  I’m going to have to say raspberry buttercream.  It was the first recipe by Rose I tried, and that initial tasting was such a revelation—I never knew buttercream could be so good!

Posted: 20 November 2007 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Matthew - 20 November 2007 03:17 PM

It goes without saying that this is a hard question.  I’m going to have to say raspberry buttercream.  It was the first recipe by Rose I tried, and that initial tasting was such a revelation—I never knew buttercream could be so good!

I know exactly what you mean - I made the strawberry version of Rose’s buttercream and it blew my socks off!  I had never tasted buttercream that was actually delicious before that moment.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 20 November 2007 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-16

i said in a prev posting that I have only made like 2 of the recipes.. I make the sour cream butter cake (I use 2 whole eggs instad of yolks) I make this as my yellow cake.. i absolutely love it.. Julius I am gonna have to try the golden butter cake this weekend (whimsical cake for my daughter) it will be 1 tier chocolate butter cake and 1 tier yellow (SO BUTTER IT IS)

Posted: 21 November 2007 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2007-11-17

Okay….I have to cheat a little….her butter cake.  smile  Each time I made one in the beginning, I thought it couldn’t get any better….1st, All Occasion Downy Yellow—“You’re not going to believe this!”  I said to my family…then it was White Velvet—“How can a plain, white cake taste so incredible?” I said, then Perfect All-American Choc, which really did taste like a chocolate bar, and finally Golden Almond Cake.  They are simply divine.

But if I must choose just one.  I’d have to say the Golden Almond Cake.  I’ve never tasted a cake that literally melted in ones mouth.  But next week when I try the Golden Grand Marnier or Golden Luxury, I’ll inevitably change my mind again….

So basically put me down for whichever one I’ve had last.

Posted: 21 November 2007 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Cathy in SoCal - 21 November 2007 05:42 AM

So basically put me down for whichever one I’ve had last.

That sounds like quite a sensible approach to me smile

Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2007 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Without a doubt…the chocolate fudge cake with mousseline buttercream

Posted: 21 November 2007 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

OK…I messed up when I set this thing up…that was me (Bill)...and yes…the chocolate fudge cake with mouselline buttercream is my favorite.  My nephews horrify my by calling it Devildog cake (Someone told me that devildogs are not a national product…so if you don’t know what they are…they are little chocolate snack cakes with cream in the middle…yuck!)

1 of 3