2 of 3
What is your FAVORITE Rose recipe?
Posted: 21 November 2007 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Okay, I know they are not on the same level as any of Rose’s recipe, but I do like Devil Dogs!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 November 2007 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-11-21

I loved the cake with cream in it; it melts in the mouth. I also loved her Charlotte Royale and made it a bunch of times. I have also made the biscuit roulade so many times because it is light, not dry whe baked properly and a perfect cake filled with simple whipping cream and with a few berries on the side; I always flavor it with orange blossom water.

Posted: 21 November 2007 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Patrincia:
Ok…confession time…I like them too lol.

Posted: 22 November 2007 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-11-22

Rose has won me over with her Flaky cream cheese pastry! I also adapted her recipes to come up with this plum crumble pie.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/anhsphoto/plumpiesmall.jpg

Posted: 22 November 2007 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18
Bill - 21 November 2007 11:22 PM

Patrincia:
Ok…confession time…I like them too lol.

Add me to the confession list too, LOL.  Devil Dogs and Twinkies wink

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 24 November 2007 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

In some ways, it’s not Rose’s recipes that have influenced me the most. It’s her ideas.

Like “weigh everything.” That has really made a difference in my baking. And the idea that you can drain the juices from macerated or thawed fruit, then reduce the juices separately. What a difference that has made to my fruit pies, jams, and even marmelades!

But as far as recipes, I use the Cream Cheese pie crust a lot. My husband just loves it, although every now and then he wants a “plain” crust.

The recipe that most “blew my mind,” though, was tasting a home-made buttercream icing. (I made Coffee Neoclassic Buttercream.) Before that, I thought I didn’t like frosting at all.  Hah! You should have seen me with this stuff!

(Yes, I knew I liked ganache—but that’s basically chocolate and cream. What’s not to like?)

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 26 November 2007 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-23

Like everyone else I want to narrow it down by category but Rose’s Glace de Volaille (from Rose’s Celebrations) has made such a difference in so many things I cook.  It gives a depth a flavor that makes the process which is not hard but is time consuming seem very worthwhile (it does take a while and you should make it the day before rubbish pick up day- that many chicken carcusses fermenting in the bin for a week is evil).  I can never go back to stock cubes.

Honorable mention also goes to the buttermilk pancake from the Cake Bible.  It makes whipping egg whites first thing in the morning worthwhile.

Posted: 27 November 2007 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-11-27

Rose’s cheesecake, yes it has to be the cheesecake. Simply sublime!

Posted: 27 November 2007 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

You know, as much as I adore her cheesecake (see my comments above), I’ve thought about it, and I do think her fruit conserve might get more frequent appreciation.

I love the idea of it, since you can adapt the recipe to all sorts of fruits. In addition to the Raspberry, I’ve made blueberry, strawberry and peach. 

The basic idea is that you take a certain weight of fruit, plus a certain weight of sugar and add the fruit to the sugar syrup in small batches for just a few minutes it so that as much of the fresh fruit flavor remains as possible, but then it thickens up nicely. (I think the measures are 1 pound fruit to 5 ounces sugar, I can’t remember)

The actual recipe’s in several of her cookbooks, for those who are interested. Take a look in the index.

Posted: 28 November 2007 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

1st)  stiff sourdough starter!  the flavor it imparts on any bread you add it on is great.  Call it the MSG of bread baking!

2nd) any of the cakes/frostings with liquor, creme anglaise with grand marnier my favorite, or moist chocolate genoise with frangelico my second favorite.

3rd) but perhaps 1st as soon as I do it several more times, the stuffing on her Rose’s Celebrations Turkey, with all the surgical work.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 29 November 2007 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

the most simple recipe changed my life!!

classic chocolate buttercream

sweet, creamy, rich, great chocolate flavor, melts in the mouth and good on any cake (OK, maybe not lemon).

and although i make mousseline buttercream for just about every cake i sell, i’m working hard to change everyone’s mind!!

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 30 November 2007 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-30

I love cheesecake but mine were always too dry and cracked.  Then I tried the Cordon Rose cheesecake and the idea of baking it in a water bath.  Perfection!  I’ve made the cheesecake many times and it is always so good.  I’d never make a cheesecake without a water bath now.  I also love her brownie puddle - so good!  My only problem is that my family (who are used to the powdered sugar frosting that they grew up with) complain that Rose’s buttercream is “too rich”.  Of course it’s rich!  That is the point!

Posted: 11 September 2008 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-05

i’m horrified to see that it’s been almost a year since this thread got started and i never got to see it! how gratifying it is—all of your choices and comments—and how similar they are to my own feelings about these cakes. i know you’ll forgive me when this new book comes out next year—a sneak preview is that i have worked out a way to make the golden almond AND the grand marnier as wedding cakes!!!
warmest wishes,
rose

Posted: 11 September 2008 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Rose Levy Beranbaum - 11 September 2008 05:14 PM

i’m horrified to see that it’s been almost a year since this thread got started and i never got to see it! how gratifying it is—all of your choices and comments—and how similar they are to my own feelings about these cakes. i know you’ll forgive me when this new book comes out next year—a sneak preview is that i have worked out a way to make the golden almond AND the grand marnier as wedding cakes!!!
warmest wishes,
rose

Ooo, I’m so happy to hear this… I have written in the margin of the Golden Almond recipe “Absolutely one of the best cake in the whole book!!!”
happy-happy!
smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 08 November 2008 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-04

I love her chocolate fudge cake and chocolate butter cake. 

I love her milk chocolate buttercream

I love her chocolate chiffon cake

I love her white chocolate butter cake

I love her white chocolate cream cheese frosting

I love…....

E V E R Y T H I N G

2 of 3