Will this choc combo work? or
Posted: 15 December 2010 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

I want a choc cake with raspberry - But I want to something different that I can present in little more than 24 hours (28 to be exact).  I am thinking Deep Choc Passion with raspberry ganache filling and a mousseline buttercream (white chocolate).  I am not a big fan of white choc. but did find G&B organic (30% cocoa).  I have some Chambourd and thought I would put this in the syrup. Will this ruin the flavor of the DPC? 

Edited >>> so the raspberry ganache has white choc and chamboaurd so I will make that but inside or out? 

Or should I make DPC with raspberry MBC (or other filling) and raspberry ganache (or other ganache)

and do you have any hints for making choc deco from candy molds. 

not yet sure I want to do lacquer glaze—but I am considering it… 

any ideas - if I am making any sense

I miss you all.  but I am off for a couple of weeks…so, of course, this forum is tops on my list

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 15 December 2010 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi.  I’ve used the Deep Chocolate Passion (milk chocolate syrup) with Raspberry Ganache then frosted with White Chocolate Mouselline Buttercream combination for a wedding cake and it turned out very well.  I don’t think I’d add the Chambord to the syrup, it’s pronounced enough in the ganache.  I used Lindt Piccolli for the white chocolate as it was a wedding cake and they wanted and ivory frosting (I did add some Navan liqueur though!). 

Here’s a link to the wedding cake (and process):  http://forheavenlycakessake.blogspot.com/2009/11/making-of-wedding-cake.html

Rose did the lacquer glaze over a white mouselline and it looked striking!  That’s a lot of components for one cake though smile

Posted: 15 December 2010 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you, Sherrie, I had about your cake….of course, I had no original idea.  Thank you for the warning about the Chambourd.  I will just use milk choc. syrup. 

Hopefully, I will have success and something delicious looking to post.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 15 December 2010 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
Sherrie - 15 December 2010 09:06 PM

some Navan liqueur

I’ve never heard of this stuff.  Do you think it would be a good addition to a soaking syrup for a cake?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 16 December 2010 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Charles and Renee,
The Navan would make a good addition to a soaking syrup, provided it’s not put on too strong.  I believe its a Vanilla Cognac.  Hector has used it and I heard about it through some of his postings.  It’s also not a bad addition to your glass while working on cakes either smile

A word on the raspberry ganache—I should add that I had 4 cake layers and 3 layers of ganache—I can say that the ganache flavour was pronounced enough, but perhaps this is why.  If you planned to do only two cake layers I would probably ensure the ganache layer is a bit on the thicker side so that you do get enough raspberry flavour with the cake.

Posted: 16 December 2010 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16
CharlesT - 16 December 2010 02:31 AM
Sherrie - 15 December 2010 09:06 PM

some Navan liqueur

I’ve never heard of this stuff.  Do you think it would be a good addition to a soaking syrup for a cake?

I bought a bottle, it wasn’t quite what I expected.  The vanilla flavor is very delicate, and there are other flavors as well as the vanilla.  I don’t like it as much as Grand Marnier (the makers of Navan).  I tried adding a little vanilla extract to see if I liked it better, but it totally wiped out the nuanced background flavors.  I’ve put a few spent vanilla beans in some cognac to see if I like that, but it isn’t ready yet.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 16 December 2010 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 17 December 2010 12:19 AM

I’ve put a few spent vanilla beans in some cognac to see if I like that, but it isn’t ready yet.

I’ve read that those whip cream devices that use nitrogen are very effective at creating alcohol infusions:

Hmmmm…..tried to post the url, but I get a message that says it’s blacklisted!  Here’s a second try:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/24c97vp

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 18 December 2010 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

Hey Crenee. im sorry im a bit late but i have tried this combination. Deep chocolate passion cake syruped with milk chocolate. Raspberry ganache for filling and white chocolate mousseline for frosting. I also had some raspberry mousseline leftover from before so i used that to decorate over the white chocolate mousseline frosting. =) The recipient loved it. Claimed she could totally taste the raspberry. iT is quite strong but in a nice way. =) my favourite ganache actually. =) Hope this helps!