1 of 2
Moist Chocolate genoise, a couple of questions.
Posted: 16 December 2010 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

So I am making my sister-in-laws birthday cake, which happens to fall on christmas day.  I would like to bake it in a 12 inch cake pan because I am going to turn it into a wreath ( there will be a hole cut out of the middle of the cake, which is why I want to bake a larger cake ) 

I’m just not sure how to calculate the amount I will need, or if it is even possible.

My second question,  I would like flavor of the syrup to be hazelnut.  What type of liqueur is best to add to syrup?  Also, I would also like to do a hazelnut praline filling but I do not have any access to hazelnut or praline paste.  Any suggestions?

Posted: 16 December 2010 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
Liza - 16 December 2010 09:01 PM

My second question,  I would like flavor of the syrup to be hazelnut.  What type of liqueur is best to add to syrup

Frangelico is a hazelnut liqueur or were you looking for a liqueur that had a complementary flavor to a different means of hazelnut flavoring?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 16 December 2010 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank you Charles.  Yes frangelico is what I was looking for.  I am hoping that if I syrup the cake a full day in advance there won’t be too much of an alcohol taste to it.

Posted: 16 December 2010 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I made the triple chocolate cake, and could not taste the Frangelico, it definitely stayed in the background, more of an enhancer than a defineable flavor.  I think you’ll be fine on that front.

Not sure about the 12” round for the moist chocolate gen, but it might work.  Rose has the gen au chocolat in 12” rounds in the wedding cake chapter.  Maybe Hector knows?  He has baked a number of MCGs.  A flower nail (like Rose uses for the RHC orange chiffon) might be helpful.

As for the quantity, the MCG bakes in two 9x2 pans (each layer 1.25” tall), for a total pan capacity of 17 1/3 cups (p.455).  If you’re doing two layers of the 12” round, that’s 31 cups total pan capacity. 
So, 31 / 17.333 = 1.79.  That means you multiply everything in the recipe and syrup by 1.79 to fill the two 12” pans.

The filling- you can make a crunchy praline filling by making your own praline powder, Cake Bible p. 315.  This can be added to buttercream or pastry cream or ganache.  Would something like that work?  Or maybe just go ahead and do the components of the triple chocolate cake?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 17 December 2010 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

I can personally attest to the SMBC chocolate praline version…I could barely stop eating it out of the bowl!  I used commercially made praline paste, but ninuh made her own and was pleased with the results—here’s a link to the discussion on the forum:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/2799/

Good luck!  The TCC as suggested by Julie is one of my faves as well, so either way you will end up with a yummy cake!

Posted: 17 December 2010 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you so much Julie and Sherrie.  I have looked at the pictures of the TCC but never really looked at the recipe because I always thought it was made with a very dense chocolate cake and would be really heavy.  Thank you so much for pointing me in that direction.  It looks perfect for the occasion.  I’m so excited to make this cake now!

Sherrie, thanks for posting that link for me.  I think I can get my hands on some hazelnut oil so I can try to make the paste.  I know it won’t be as smooth as bought praline paste, but it is all I have to work with right now. 

I think I will use the TCC instead of trying to bake 2 12 inch cakes and carve them into a wreath.  Too much work for me right before Christmas.  smile

Posted: 17 December 2010 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, here’s a version of the triple choc cake that I did earlier this year (in case you decide fooling with the praline chocolate sheets is too much trouble).  I just made them flat and thin, and layered them in the cake instead of draping on the outside.

Image Attachments
Triple Choc Valentine.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 17 December 2010 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Wow, Julie!  That’s a great take on the TCC!  Definitely post pics, Liza of your creation—I’d love to see how your TCC turns out.

Posted: 17 December 2010 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie, and incredibly beautiful cake!!!!!

Liza, I’ve never made a genoise, so this suggestion might not be applicable, but, if you’re baking a larger layer from a recipe not created to do a layer that large, and don’t need the center anyway, you can always test at the inner perimeter of what you’ll be keeping, rather than the very center of the cake.  This way, you won’t have to worry about the outsides getting dry just to completely cook a middle you’re going to not need.

Posted: 17 December 2010 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Julie - 17 December 2010 12:58 PM

Liza, here’s a version of the triple choc cake that I did earlier this year (in case you decide fooling with the praline chocolate sheets is too much trouble).  I just made them flat and thin, and layered them in the cake instead of draping on the outside.

OMG JULIE!!! Really, you should have your own show on the Food Network! I hate to keep using the word ‘amazing’ but there is no other adjective which is fitting.

Posted: 17 December 2010 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

I hate to keep using the word ?amazing?

I feel the same about using “beautiful,” etc.  But what can we do?  It’s such a talented group!!  I think I’m going to start using bizarre Thesaurus words.

Posted: 17 December 2010 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, please take pics. I’d love to see your wreath take.

Julie, it’s always a happy experience to see your work again. That cake is so beautiful! I need to save the pic. Might steal the idea for Valentine’s day next year!

And agree with MJ. I think you and Hector both should have your food network show. Baking with Hector and Julie. I like the sound of that.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 December 2010 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Wow Wow Wow Julie!  I absolutely love it.  I will try the sheets and see how it goes.  If it doesn’t work out I will do something else. 

Thanks for the information Anne, but I think I will just stick with 2 nine inch cakes, instead of baking 2 12” cakes and hollowing out the middle.  It is going to be busy enough as it is next week, without worrying if my cake is going to be ok.

Posted: 17 December 2010 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Another question….I went out at lunch to Sobeys and I found hazelnut butter.  The only ingredients are hazelnuts and on the jar it says smooth.  Could I possibly use this?

Posted: 17 December 2010 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds like hazelnut paste to me smile.  The triple chocolate cake calls for homemade praline powder in the chocolate sheets for a crunchy texture.  It might work to add hazelnut paste, it just wouldn’t be as crunchy. 

If you’re replacing praline paste with hazelnut paste, use half the amount by weight (since Rose recommends praline paste that is half sugar/half hazelnuts by weight) and incorporate caramelized sugar into liquid in the recipe.  For instance, make the caramel silk meringue bc and then for praline, add half the weight of praline paste in hazelnut paste.  Glorious stuff.  OK, sorry, I just remembered you have a love/hate thing with smbc, but you could also do just a pastry cream or chiboust. 

If you have hazelnut paste now, one of my all-time favorite pairings is hazelnut or gianduja mousseline with the domingo cake. 

And chocolate praline silk meringue buttercream is incredibly good.

Signature 

Posted: 17 December 2010 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Yippee!!!!!!  I am going to make the praline sheets as stated in the recipe.  I was thinking of incorporating the hazelnut paste into the filling somehow.  I’m not sure as to what I am going to make yet maybe a chocolate bavarian cream or maybe a pastry cream.  But sorry no SMBC.  Your right, it is a real hate/love relationship I have with it.  Rose needs to do a video making the SMBC.  Maybe that would help me.

1 of 2