A Rye and some Cheddar
Posted: 30 March 2008 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-03-15

I had a productive Sunday: made a nice Jewish Rye from the BB, which is one of my favorites. It got a little high….the yeast must have been super-happy today.

And then tried the Cheddar Loaf.  It’s respectable. I think I kneaded out some of the air.

I want to post my pics….but they’re too big, or I’m not doing it right or something. How can I get them up to show you all?

Posted: 30 March 2008 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I’m not sure if size is the real issue since I haven’t tried posting, but if you want to reduce the size of your pictures (and you are on a Windows computer), right click the picture and choose “Open With” and then “Microsoft Office Picture Manager.”  Once the picture opens in this program, choose “Picture” from the toolbar and then “Resize.”  On the right pane, you can reduce the size by percentage.  Save it and try to reload it here.

Posted: 31 March 2008 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

My tech savvy teen downloaded (or is it uploaded?) a “image resizing” program from the internet - all I have to do is click on a digital photo image, click resize, then click on the size I want it to become and voila - its as easy as that. 

My suggestion: get a teen to help you find one, install it, and show you how to use it smile.  Good luck!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 31 March 2008 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-03-15

OK. I think we can tell that I’m a tech dummy. I wasn’t clear, of course. LOL.

I don’t think it’s the “size.” It’s the KB/GB size of the pics that I have. So it says that 400KB is the limit, but my pictures are over that, at 2.4G or something like that. I think it might have something to do with how I take the pictures on my camera.

So…..the next time I bake up a storm (this weekend?) I’ll try again.

I feel like I’m living in the 19th century or something. I have no idea how to do this.

Posted: 01 April 2008 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17
Matthew - 31 March 2008 02:05 AM

..... to reduce the size of your pictures (and you are on a Windows computer), right click the picture and choose “Open With” and then “Microsoft Office Picture Manager.”  Once the picture opens in this program, choose “Picture” from the toolbar and then “Resize.”  On the right pane, you can reduce the size by percentage.  Save it and try to reload it here.

Bostonscot, 

Matthew is correct.  When you “Resize” the picture, the KB/GB of the file changes also. 
I had to do this last week with my “Strawberry Maria” pictures.  (Save your picture under another name before resizing it because once you make it smaller, you can’t go back and make it larger without distortion. It gets rid of the pixels) 

I can’t wait to see your pictures!

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 01 April 2008 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

right click the picture and choose “Open With” and then “Microsoft Office Picture Manager.”

Not that it really matters for me (I can upload photos), but my computer must be ancient becaue I don’t seem to have “microsoft office picture manager”.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 01 April 2008 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17
Patrincia - 01 April 2008 12:24 PM

right click the picture and choose “Open With” and then “Microsoft Office Picture Manager.”

Not that it really matters for me (I can upload photos), but my computer must be ancient becaue I don’t seem to have “microsoft office picture manager”.

Good point.  I don’t know if MS office picture manager automatically comes with all computers.  Perhaps when I loaded MS Office, it loaded picture manager also. (seems like they are always sneaking something in on my computer. ) lol

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 16 May 2008 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Hi all,

Here’s a quick cheat (for Windows users) to make your pics smaller (kBs not cropping) quickly without editing or extra software:

Go to Windows Explorer (Hold down the “windows key” and press ‘E)
Find and highlight the name of the pic you want from the folder list.
RIGHT click on the name and select “Send to” from the list that pops up
Choose “Mail Recipient”

Windows will ask you if you want to make the pic smaller… say OK.
Then Windows will open up your email program automatically and attach a smaller version of your pic to a new email message
Enter your own email address in the To: field and Send

You will receive an email straight back with the smaller pic and you then just save it back to your folder from the email.
Sounds complicated but once you’ve done it once and are familiar it takes about 30 seconds!

This is useful too if you want to send a few pictures to friends without editing (to send more than one pic, hold down the Control button to select multiple images at once then continue as above.

Hope this helps as I ‘d love to see your pic!!

Cheers
Cate (the geek home baker)

Posted: 17 May 2008 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Having just posted some pictures to the forum recently, I can tell you that each picture must be no larger than 800x600 pixels, you can attach a maximum of 4 pictures to a post, and the total size of all pictures attached to a post must be no more than 400KB. I made a note of it!

Can’t help you with Windows systems, but if you need any tips for Macs just let me know.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 17 May 2008 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

BarbaraA, I have been looking for help in how to put pictures on to the forum, and I do have a Mac laptop!  Every time I ask for help I’m told I can’t be helped because I’m on a Mac!  Windows seem to predominate, even my own son doesn’t know how to help me, a little message comes up saying my pictures are too big.  I must own up to being not very computer literate, so if you do attempt to help please be as succint as possible! red face

Posted: 18 May 2008 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Jeannette and other Mac users,

If you have iPhoto on your Mac you can use that. I don’t use it, though, so I can’t help you with that. I use a shareware program called GraphicConverter. (Shareware means you’re supposed to pay for it if you like it, but you can use it for free.) I have used it for years and like it enough that I have paid for it. It does way more than you need—but I’ll tell you how to do what you’ll need for this forum. Your son may be able to help you with some of this.

Here’s the link for the GraphicConverter web site:
http://www.lemkesoft.com/xd/public/content/index._cGlkPTE5Mw_.html
Click on the “Download” links at top or bottom of page to get to the download area.

Once you’ve downloaded and installed the program, start it up and use it to open the “raw” pictures from your camera.

If you are only viewing a tiny portion of the image, go to the Picture Menu and choose Zoom > View at Window Size.

Next, crop off any unwanted parts at the edges of the picture. Imagine the area you want to save, click at one corner and drag to the diagonally opposite corner. (Your son may be able to help you with this, it works the same on PC image manipulation programs as well.) Once you’ve selected the area you want to keep, go to the File menu and choose New > New Image from Selection. Adjust the Zoom ratio on the new image if you need to.

Now for the good part—we will resize the new image and save it as a much smaller file. Under the Picture menu, choose Size > Scale. Ignore most of the stuff on the window that comes up. Type 800 into the Width area and see what new number comes up in the Height area. If the Height is now less than 600 you are good to go. Click OK at the bottom. If the Height is more than 600, click in that field and type in 600, then click OK.

You’ve now resized the image so that this forum will accept it. It is no larger than 800 by 600 pixels. Now you need to save it in the appropriate format. Choose Save As from the File menu. You know how to give the file a name and put it where you want it, I presume. At the bottom of the Save window, make sure you have selected the format of “JPEG/JFIF” and that you have checked the boxes next to Set format from extension, Save web ready, and Make filename ready for the web. To tell you the truth, I’m not sure what all the other boxes do, but it seems to work to leave them unchecked. Now, click the Save button.

Yet another window will come up (I did say this program had way too many features!) There are really only a few things you need to worry about on this window: there’s a slider bar at the upper left that allows you to trade off between image quality and image compression. As you slide it back and forth, you will notice that the New file size down under Calculate File Size will change. Slide it until the New File size is small enough to use on this forum. Remember that the forum gives you a maximum of 400 KB per post, and a maximum of 4 pictures per post. If you’re posting 1 picture, it will need to be 400 KB or less, but for 4 they will have to be 100KB apiece (or something else that adds up to 400KB).

That’s it, now you have pictures ready to post.

If you’re interested in finding more shareware for the Mac and making sure your commercial software is up to day, here are two useful sites:

http://www.versiontracker.com
http://www.macupdate.com

Happy Mac-ing!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 19 May 2008 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

For the Macintosh community.
iPhoto which is installed on every mac with OSX offers several ways to resize your photos.
Under the File menu choose Export. There is a resize box there where you can enter your desired final size.
Also when you are in the “Organize View” there is a button near the bottom of the window which says Email. You can then select from several web friendly sizes and mac mail will open with a new email containing your resized picture. You can simply drag the picture to a folder to save it as a file for uploading.
GraphicConverter also is a great program.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 19 May 2008 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks to both of you.  I really must get my head around this process so that I can fully use my computer, the one downside to having a Mac is not being able to attend a class, they only cater for Windows in this part of the world.  Otherwise I love my Mac laptop!

‹‹ Golden Honey Oat Loaf      Nascar Cake ››