kind of ganache?
Posted: 20 December 2010 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-11-29

this weekend I’m making a cake called “rosie’s famous chocolate sour cream cake layers” with her ‘fudge’ frosting. (I feel like a traitor as this “rosie” is not OUR “rosie”.) anyway the frosting is like a ganache (I assume) but not with cream. It’s melted chocolate, evaporated milk, and sugar. you make it in a blender.
Question is-can you work with this frosting like you could with a buttercream? I wanted to make swirl designs but perhaps this will be too thin? Alternatively, I thought if I just had smooth sides I could top it with chocolate curls.
any thoughts?

Posted: 20 December 2010 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

My thought is that it will be very sweet—adding sugar to chocolate, you know?  Plus, unless all the sugar is dissolved, it might get gritty.

You could just make a sour cream ganache—which is amazingly delicious!  Rose has a recipe in TCB, for sure, and probably in RHC, too (can’t remember offhand).  It’s only chocolate and sour cream and it is HEAVENLY! 

Her milk chocolate frosting is also incredible and incredibly simple—it’s in TCB.  It’s just melted chocolate and butter.  It tastes like a soft milk chocolate bar.  It is truly to die for—just don’t refrigerate it.  It’s soft as a happy whippy dip, but if you refrigerate it, it’s hard as .... cold chocolate mixed with butter!  Melts in your mouth beautifully, but it’s no longer like frosting.

Posted: 11 March 2011 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-29

I did make this cake for Christmas and it was fantastic. The frosting is called “fudge” but it’s really like ganache except it’s made with evaporated milk, not cream. So can it technically be considered ganache? I suppose it can if RLB’s sour cream ganache can be called ganache, this can too?!

I’m making it again for an online fundraiser this weekend (just to take a photo and practice making chocolate curls!) and I may try the sour cream version, Anne, thanks.

Posted: 11 March 2011 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

So glad it came out well!

And if you call it ganache, I call it ganache!

Ganache is a state of mind as much as it is reality.  And when there’s a whole lot of it on a spoon, it’s an especially nice state of mind!!!

Posted: 11 March 2011 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-29

haha, Anne, I like the way you think!