Vanilla Sponge for Buche de Noel
Posted: 22 December 2010 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-05-11

Hi, guys. Looking for a good, easy-to-work-with recipe for a vanilla/white sponge for a Buche de Noel. I normally make chocolate sponge, but this year a friend has requested white cake. I’m nervous about finding a good recipe that will roll easily. Any suggestions/experience will be appreciated!

Posted: 22 December 2010 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Biscuit roulade from the Cake Bible.  It bakes up into a pretty thin, very flexible layer.  It has an extra yolk to keep it flexible enough to roll.  Be sure to cool it in the rolled position. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 23 December 2010 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-03-20

ooh, I was just looking for tips on this very thing! Do you roll up the cake when still warm using wax paper as a layer, then unroll it to frost and re-roll?

cheers, Helen

Posted: 26 December 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Full directions are in the Cake Bible, but I think it’s rolled with a towel to cool, then unrolled, filled, and re-rolled.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 27 December 2010 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-05-11

I used the Biscuit Roulade recipe from TCB. It was awesome! I love how flexible and forgiving the cake was. I even rolled it up on the long side, changed my mind, and re-rolled it on the short side, and it was perfectly fine. It’s doesn’t make a very large log, but it was fine.

And yes, I rolled it with a towel, then let it cool, then unrolled, filled and rolled back up.

Posted: 27 December 2010 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-03-20

hiya, I used it this week as well, pretty fool-proof, and very well received.