2 of 2
Christmas/Birthday Cake
Posted: 03 January 2011 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, I’m eating the chocolate bull’s-eye now (the one with the butterfly). The cake was syruped 3 days ago (on Saturday) and it is still pretty boozy. Just want to let you know smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 03 January 2011 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
Jenn - 03 January 2011 09:49 PM

Liza, I’m eating the chocolate bull’s-eye now (the one with the butterfly). The cake was syruped 3 days ago (on Saturday) and it is still pretty boozy. Just want to let you know smile.

I suspect that if people didn’t want the boozy taste, you could heat the liqueur in a pan and boil off the alcohol.  But I guess that raises the question:  what do we gain by adding a liqueur to a cake?  Is it merely the flavor that exists independent of the alcohol, or is the alcohol an essential aspect of the flavor?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 03 January 2011 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Good point Liza. Though it’s kinda a shame to boil off Grand Marnier as it’s a pricey liquor. If people want the orange-y taste they could always use a diluted orange juice (perhaps add a teensy bit of vodka). Would be cheaper that way.

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2011 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Yep, gorgeous is definitely the word for that cake!  And I’m sure it tasted even more delicious because you made it with special care for someone you cared about…it’s nice when we can combine our love of baking with love for family and friends!

Posted: 04 January 2011 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16
CharlesT - 03 January 2011 10:35 PM

I suspect that if people didn’t want the boozy taste, you could heat the liqueur in a pan and boil off the alcohol.

A number of liqueurs completely loose their flavor when boiled, I’m thinking specifically of Frangelico, but others are similarly affected. 

But I guess that raises the question:  what do we gain by adding a liqueur to a cake?  Is it merely the flavor that exists independent of the alcohol, or is the alcohol an essential aspect of the flavor?

The alcohol is a necessary carrier of delicate flavors, but I suspect you already knew that. smile  Also, the alcohol helps with attracting moisture and keeping the cake preserved/fresh.  That’s why fruit juice can be a nice substitute, because the sugars are good at attracting water.  Ditto for caramelized sugars, which make a great non-alcoholic syrup for chocolate cakes.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 04 January 2011 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Julie for that explanation.  I certainly don’t mind a mild taste of alcohol in a cake, but this one was a little bit too strong for me.  I think the next best thing is to just back off on the alcohol a bit when preparing the syrup, like you suggested.

Jenn, I didn’t realize how expensive Grand Marnier was.  I purchased my first bottle last week because I really want to try the Grand Marnier Cake in TCB, since it has had such wonderful reviews..  So I brought it up to the counter and the sales girl says
” That’ll be $64.00 please”  gulp  I almost brought it back to the shelf….but decided to keep it.  I have already given the HANDS-OFF warning to my husband about the grand marnier, oh, and also the Chambrod I bought the week before.  This is the most alcohol I have bought in a long time.

Posted: 04 January 2011 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Yes Grand Marnier and Chambord are expensive. We do occasionally drink a sip or two of Grand Marnier. The Chambord I keep only for baking.

Navan is expensive also. I backed off buying it, I think having 2 expensive liquor at home is good enough, smile.

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2011 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Jenn & Liza,

I think you should balance the expensive liquor with a nice Chanel handbag.  This way, your wardrobe will balance your kitchen. 

Always good to maintain a balance in life, you know!

—ak

Posted: 04 January 2011 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

LOL! What a funny comment Anne.

It’s funny how one’s perspective shifted. I used to buy brand name bags - not Chanel’s category, more like Coach category. I recently felt the urge of buying a new purse, but felt I could better spend the money on baking stuff instead of another Coach-type purse. The urge of having a new purse is strong though. So what did I do, I started thinking about what’s important for me in a purse. I want something leather, unique color, and design. In the end, I got myself a no brand leather purse that is yellow and unique and ON SALE. It’s cheaper than anything I’ve ever owned before and I’m absolutely happy with it.

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2011 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Awesomely done, Jenn!  Doncha love it when it works out that way???? Did you subtract what you paid from what you WOULD have spent if you’d gotten the Coach and buy yourself something else…maybe a fabulous baking pan ... or even some Grand Marinier???  Or maybe some yummy new yarn?

Posted: 05 January 2011 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

I didn’t do the subtraction Anne. But I did got myself a nice pair of boots (of course it’s shoes smile).

Signature 

Posted: 05 January 2011 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Dig you!!!  Well done!

2 of 2