Cranberry Crown Cheesecake
Posted: 27 December 2010 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I made this over the weekend, as part of the HCB entry.

This cake is pretty easy to make. Even though I make my own ladyfingers it, it only took a couple of hours to put together. Not bad compared to some of the other cakes in the book.

I made 1/2 recipe again in a 7 inch pan. Not sure whether 1/2 recipe ladyfingers would be enough, I made 2/3 recipe. Turned out to be the perfect amount, have just enough ladyfingers for the sides and the bottom.

As far as the taste… I’m not a cheesecake fan, and hubby isn’t either. But we both love it. It paired up really nicely with the cranberry topping (which was so good btw, that I made more of it, with the rest of the frozen cranberries).  Hubby said it’s the best cheesecake he’s ever had.

Image Attachments
Cranberry Crown Cheesecake1.jpgCranberry Crown Cheesecake5 s.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 December 2010 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

It is stunning and that crumb!!!! Looks delicious!

Posted: 27 December 2010 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Oh Jenn, what a beautiful cake!  Your cake definitely depicts a picture of a crown.  I love the contrasting colours of the cake and the cranberries.  Very Very festive!!!

Posted: 27 December 2010 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Jenn,
Just Beautiful!
wink

Posted: 27 December 2010 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Jenn, that IS beautiful! And the 7” size (is that the one pictured?) looks just like a crown!! The ladyfingers are a perfect golden and the cranberries look so pretty not going quite to the edge.  I was planning the coconut cheesecake for a February birthday, but now it might be cranberry!

Glad you know you and the hub have taken the cheesecake plunge.  One of life’s great pleasures, IMHO!

Posted: 27 December 2010 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks MJ, Liza, and Darm.

Anne, it is 7 inch - I used Magic Line removable bottom pan (7x3). We haven’t exactly taken the cheesecake plunge, though we do like this one, but it’s not likely to be repeated often smile.

Signature 

Posted: 27 December 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

it?s not likely to be repeated often

According to Loopy, the coconut cheesecake is really amazing if you happen to like coconut.  Just sayin’.....

Posted: 28 December 2010 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Gorgeous, Jenn!  Your ladyfingers are perfect, very, very nice work!  Glad you liked it even though cheesecake isn’t your thing.  It isn’t my thing, either, though I’ve been contemplating the ginger for a while now… smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 28 December 2010 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26
Anne in NC - 28 December 2010 03:05 AM

According to Loopy, the coconut cheesecake is really amazing if you happen to like coconut.  Just sayin’.....

Thanks Anne smile. I have every intention of baking everything in the book (40 cakes to go), so all the other cheesecakes will get made. Hubby likes coconut dessert so he will be excited about the 2 remaining coconut cake in the book.

The one cake I am soooo not looking forward to is the pumpkin cheesecake. I do not like pumpkin at all - unless you count the carved one that appears during halloween.

Julie, thanks for the compliments on the ladyfingers. I was pretty nervous when piping it. I used bleached AP so was afraid they will spread too much and become uneven. Glad it didn’t happen.

Signature 

Posted: 28 December 2010 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

This is quite gorgeous, Jenn! Another winner!

I made the Heavenly Coconut Seduction cake for my sister’s wedding. Everyone raved. Your husband will love it. And the pumpkin cheesecake—it’s great. I just made it for Christmas.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 30 December 2010 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Anne, thanks for the shout out!  You are correct, every time I’ve made the coconut cheesecake, all of the coconut lovers swooned…  Now, as for that pumpkin cheesecake:  it is definitely verrrry pumpkiny.  No disguising that pumpkin, even with all of the pecans and ginger snaps and cream cheese.  So Jenn if you don’t like pumpkin but need to make the recipe anyway, maybe you should make plans to bestow a nice gift on a friend or neighbor that day, or have some people over for dessert!  I actually like pumpkin, but this was a little too rich for my taste…I think maybe if I’d eaten it half-frozen (my favorite way to eat regular cheesecake), I might have liked it better. 

My mom and I ended up making a pumpkin pie with the leftover pumpkin (I bought the big can), and I much preferred the pie to the cheesecake! I used a variation of the pumpkin pie in the PPB, but used only 1 heaping cinnamon and about 1/2 t ground ginger, and I thought it had the perfect amount of spiciness but still tasted like pumpkin.