Can I frost a frozen cake?
Posted: 27 December 2010 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-10-05

Hello All!  I am making my mother a two-tier cake for her 50th birthday this Friday and I want to bake a freeze it tonight and then frost in Friday.  Can I frost a frozen cake or will it become a giant mess when the cake thaws.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I googled searched it first and half the people say they always frost a frozen cake and the other half never do, so I am not sure what to do!  Any help that any one can provide would be greatly appreciated! 

Details:
White cake - first layer
chocolate cake - second layer
and a crusting butter cream frosting. (will it be better to use crisco instead of butter or vice versa?)
I will have royal icing piped on the sides and a few fondant details

Posted: 27 December 2010 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2008-09-27
TxAggieChristine - 27 December 2010 05:41 PM

and a crusting butter cream frosting. (will it be better to use crisco instead of butter or vice versa?)

Crisco = yuck.  I dump that sort of frosting into the garbage when no one is looking.  Use real butter at a minimum, and there are better buttercreams than ones based on confectioner’s sugar.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 27 December 2010 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1092
Joined  2009-05-26

Aggie, you can frost a frozen cakes with buttercream. Bakeries do this all the time.

And I second Charles, please try not to use Crisco. It is really not worth putting the time and effort into a cake if you use fake product that taste awful. Rose has several buttercream recipes that are all awesome. If you don’t have her book, I’m sure you can go visit other websites for buttercream recipes.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 December 2010 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Rose’s neoclassic buttercream is very, very easy and very delicious.  She also has a video to walk you through making it on this site under “Videos.” 

If you do a google search for “Sicilian Pistachio Cake,” some people have posted the recipe and that includes the neoclssic buttercream (you can leave out the extracts and just vanilla if you want).  With the neoclasic, you can use either corn syrup or Lyle’s Golden Syrup.  It’s wonderful both ways, but if you can get your hands on the Lyle’s, go for it, it’s incredible!

So, if you don’t have the book, Google for the cake to get the amounts for the frosting, watch the video to help you make it and then you won’t be able to resiste the book any longer!  Once you get one, you will find you will HAVE to get the other, lest you burst!

Posted: 27 December 2010 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

While I can’t help you with your frosting question, I felt the need to weigh in.  While I love many of Rose’s frosting recipes (mousseline flavored with peanut butter will always be my all time favorite frosting), I think it should be noted on this forum that even though Crisco is a dirty word here, everyone has different tastes. I also happen to love the house buttercream by the Whimsical Bakehouse, which contains high ratio shortening. So Christine, you should absolutely try Rose’s buttercreams, but ultimately choose a frosting that your mother will enjoy.  Even if it contains Crisco.  smile

Posted: 27 December 2010 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2008-09-27

The recipes that I see from the Whimsical Bakehouse contain at least a stick butter, so that’s not really a counter-example of the philosophy that “butter is better”.  Plus, hi-ratio shortening supposedly doesn’t have the aftertaste that Crisco has.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 27 December 2010 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Charles “Zero Tolerance” T counters with a right cross…..

; )