General Knowledge question
Posted: 28 December 2010 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Hi Everyone

I haven’t been on the forum posting questions for a while, been away to look after my dad. All’s well and am back to baking.

Just had a general knowledge question people have been asking me…why is it that oil cakes are more moist than butter cakes? Thanks.

Posted: 28 December 2010 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

I think it"s because oil is always a liquid and is therefor always softer and more pliable.  Also, oil is 100% fat, while butter is something like 80% (although recipes might be adjusted for this).  Butter, on teh other hand is always (unless in a melted state) at least partially solid, even at room temp, so it’s not quite as pliable.

This may be wrong—or there may be more to it—and I’m sure one of the science-minded will jump in!

I also think the answer is in both books.

Posted: 28 December 2010 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I think it has to do with the mouthfeel at room temperature.  The more saturated a fat is, the more solid it tends to be at cake eating temps.  The more liquid-y oil just seems moister, more water-like in the mouth.  That, plus recipes with fruits/vegetables tend use oil, and they are a little more moist anyway, because their sugars (and maybe fiber, too?) are so good at attracting and holding on to water.

Use the bread analogy- room temp bread with butter has a solid spread on it and while flavorful, can easily feel dry in the mouth if the bread is on the dry side.  Dipping the bread in liquid olive oil does a better job of counteracting any dryness.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 28 December 2010 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Thanks Anne and Julie. Thats what I thought too, its the likes of carrot cakes and banana cakes that uses oil mostly apart frm some chocolate cakes…neways, thanks for looking into it..