Chocolate Velvet Fudge Cake vs. Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake & water
Posted: 30 December 2010 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

The recipes for the Chocolate Velvet Fudge Cake (RHC p. 117) and the Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake (TCB p. 54) are identical, except for two things:

1.  Chocolate Velvet is baked in a bundt pan, while the Chocolate Butter is in layers and
2.  Chocolate Velvet has 1/2 the boiling water of the Chocolate Butter, with no other liquid to make up for it.

Rose mentions that the Chocolate Vevet is “extraordinarily moist,” even with 118g less water.  Is this because in this shape less water evaporates from the cake?

I’m thinking of making the Perfect All American Chocoalte Torte (the Chocoalte Butter cake with yolks rather than whole eggs—otherwise identical) in a 4c bread pan (since, from the Chocolate Velvet, it looks like it will happily bake in various shapes), but I wasn’t sure whether I should go with the less water or regular water version. Could always go 3/4 water, I suppose…..

I note that the Chocolate Bread also has much less liquid than a layered cake (but I don’t want to make the chocolate bread—unless its just incredible or something—since i’m already making the pound cake and they’d be a bit similar to give both).

Any thoughts??

Thanks so much!!!!!

Posted: 30 December 2010 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1369
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 30 December 2010 05:00 PM

2.  Chocolate Velvet has 1/2 the boiling water of the Chocolate Butter, with no other liquid to make up for it.

This recipe has two separate lines for water, one boiling, one not, but both are 118 grams, for a total 236 grams, just like in the PAACBC.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 30 December 2010 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Charles T, your accute observation (as opposed to my completely slcak observation) makes you the hero of my day!

Thanks so much!

—ak