Chocolate Praline Sheets
Posted: 31 December 2010 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

Hey all ! =) Happy new year !! =) Hope everyone is bringing in the new year in their own special way ...
I am thinking of making the Triple chocolate cake. Everything seems do able except for the Praline sheets. I keep reading and re reading the instructions and there is no end to the number of times i have read googled it. =D Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be that much information out there as i thought. Some people have created msterpieces but there is not much info on stuff to be careful of and such..And some stuff i found looks terrible!!!!!!!! sorry to say! Im a lil squeamish to spend so much money on all that chocolate and not have it look as nice as Rose s does!!! Course im sure it tastes wonderful nonetheless.
So anyone!!?? Any hints? Pointer for success??? =) Much appreciated !

Posted: 31 December 2010 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

Generally any issue I’ve had with the praline sheets has been with the application to the cake, not the actual making of them.  The main challenge is the temperature of the sheets—be patient and have a hair dryer handy.  My avatar is of the TCC—so very delish!

Posted: 01 January 2011 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I agree with Sherrie.  I just made these for a Christmas/Birthday Cake.  If you look in the forum Show and Tell I posted all about it under Christmas/Birthday Cake.  I had no problems making the sheets.  If they become too stiff to bend use your blow dryer very lightly to soften them.  I just couldn’t get them to bend nicely onto the top of the cake, so I just left them standing straight.

Posted: 01 January 2011 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

And if you really don’t want to try draping them, you can spread them flat on a silpat in the shape of your cake and layer them flat, between the layers.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 02 January 2011 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

hey liza -  i saw your pic , i think thats what inspired me to give it a shot =) your look beautiful!! If i could get mine to look half as good id be chuffed!!!!
Julie - Omg !!! That sounds like a fabulous idea!!!!!!! Yum!!!!!! But then again i want to learn how to drape em… =D The problem is i dont have a hair dryer!!!!  im thinking what else would work.
Sherrie - Your avatar looks great !!! sigh. did u need to use a hair dryer to get em like that??? hmmm… cant i just keep the room warmer than usual? I think whats scaring me is the quick tempering bit. i Havent tempered chocolate before !

Posted: 02 January 2011 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Ninuh, quick-tempering isn’t so hard, just remember to keep a chunk of unmelted chocolate in the bowl of melted chocolate while it cools (and to stir).  Then make sure to spread it while the temp is in the ideal range.  And it isn’t very long from when you spread it to when it’s set enough to hold it shape but flexible enough to wrap around the cake.

Good luck!  Please report back (with pics!)

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe