Some Unfrosted Cakes—Carrot (RHC), Chestnut Sand (TCB), All American Chocolate Torte (TCB)
Posted: 31 December 2010 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

These are Carrot Cake (RHC), the Chestnut Sand Cake (TCB) and the Perfect All American Chocolate Torte (TCB).

The Chestnut Sand Cake is currently my favorite cake of all time on the planet, frosted or unfrosted.  There is simply nothing that can compare to its amazing texture, moistness and flavor.  I baked the little breads without letting them sit, so they have flat tops rather than domes.

The Perfect All American Chocolate Torte is simply another of Rose’s amazing chocolate cakes.  So far, I’ve made the Devil’s Food (RHC), the Domingo (TCB), Double-Whammy Grooms (RHC) and now this one.  This one isn’t as tender and fluffy as the Devil’s Food, nor as dense and brownie-like as the Domingo.  It’s right in the middle—slightly toothsome yet light enough to be imminently frostable (but it needs no frosting to complete it).  It is an incredibly delicious cake.  I let the little cakes sit about 40 minutes before baking, so they have little domes.

The carrot cake is marvellous.  I was kind of worried about it, because it has more sugar than most of Rose’s recipes.  Where the flour and sugar weight are generally equal, this cake has 33% more sugar.  But it’s not too sweet.  Well, for me, it’s not too sweet to eat—it’s perfect, but for me, it’s too sweet to frost (I had a planned frosting but didn’t use it).  But I’d frost it if I were making it for someone’s birthday or something.  Also, the spice balance (which is only cocoa powder and cinnamon) is so amazingly right-on.  The flavor is just absolutely wonderful!  Of course, because it’s an oil cake, it’s very, very moist.  I much prefer butter cake texture and might try the carrot cake in TCB or try this cake with butter, but you cannot escape the perfection of flavor in this carrot cake!!  This is the only cake I’ve noticed that calls for unbleached AP flour (but there may be others).

Image Attachments
Small - Chestnut Cake (Breads) (4).jpgSmall - Matt's Cake (Breads) (4) - Copy.jpgSmall - Carrot Cake Fiesta (7).jpgCarrot Cake Fiesta (3).jpg

Posted: 01 January 2011 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Anne, all your cakes look lovely!  Thank-you for giving such wonderful descriptions of the cakes.  I love the carrot cake from RHC.  I think I need to make it again. 

Your new oven is sure getting a work out!!!

Are you going to be freezing all these cakes?

Posted: 01 January 2011 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you so much, Liza!

Are you going to be freezing all these cakes?

Yes!  Every one of them is sliced and frozen!  Just in time, too, because I had ONE piece of cake left in the freezer stash (Golden Lux Butter Cake w/Lemon Neoclassic…mmmmm!)  The Chocolate Torte was also made into a layer cake (wonky layers due to the cake-strip-new-oven conflict) for a boss’s birthday.  It’s in the freezer—whole—right now waiting for his birthday.  It is rather a homely cake, I’m afraid, but no one will mind!!!!

Of course, pieces make the rounds here and there for folks I think would like a particular cake.

Posted: 01 January 2011 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Loved seeing these, Anne!  You just about have me convinced to try the chestnut sand, and I don’t even care for chestnuts all that much.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 02 January 2011 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

You just about have me convinced to try the chestnut sand

Yay!  Make it!  Make it!  It is the absolute easiest cake in the world, and you will at least appreciate its wonderful and unusual texture found in no other cake (probably).  When you eat it, think “sour cream praline” instead of “chestnut,” and I think you will love it!!

Posted: 02 January 2011 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Anne, they all look delicious. I never saw the recipe for a Chestnut Sand Cake..I definitely have to try that. Good to know about the carrot cake..we definitely like sweet.  Everything looks perfect and delicious!

Posted: 03 January 2011 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, MJ!  You and the hub would love the carrot cake—it’s very yummy!

Posted: 03 January 2011 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne, they all look lovely! Does the Chesnut sand use chesnut flour? Did you buy it or make it yourself?

I’m amazed at your organization skills. To cut each cake, wrap, and freeze requires patience and someone highly organized. Not to mention the freezer organization skills.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 03 January 2011 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Jenn!!!

The Chestnut Sand does use chestnut flour, which I bought from nutsonline.com.  I also got my dried chestnuts for the frosting when I made it, frosted, last October.  They have lots of good and weird stuff there.  Their chocolate covered espresso beans and chocolate covered almonds are really good!

I?m amazed at your organization skills. To cut each cake, wrap, and freeze requires patience and someone highly organized. Not to mention the freezer organization skills.

Ha ha, Jenn, you are too kind!  do you remember Feeber McGee and Molly?  If so, now you can imagine my freezer full of cake pieces.  Nothing falls out, though ... so long as I don’t touch anything.  I’ll have to post a pic sometime, if I can get past the embarrassment!

Posted: 04 January 2011 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Anne in NC - 03 January 2011 04:20 PM

Thanks, MJ!  You and the hub would love the carrot cake—it’s very yummy!

The last time my father-in-law was visiting, I bought the ingredients to make the carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.  He left before I could make it.  Thank you for bringing that cake to mind again. I should plan on making it, for sure. IT sounds like we would love it.

Posted: 04 January 2011 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Anne, all of those cute little loaves look perfect!  Do you use your savarin mold much?  My mother has one in MS that she never uses, so I’m thinking of having her bring it out to me on her next trip… 

Chestnut sand cake…I agree it was a unique cake, very moist as you say, and subtle flavor.  But I’m still trying to decide if I liked it or not…I have alot of chestnut flour left over, so I will make it again one of these days to try again!  I think I might try it unfrosted next time - the frosting with the chestnut puree was delicious, but maybe that combined with the richness of the cake put it over the top for me!

Posted: 04 January 2011 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hey, Loop! 

First, thanks!!!!!

I haven’t yet used my savarin ring “outside the home,” but if you’ve got potential to give a home to an unused one, I’d go for it.  I think they’re really cute way to make an unfrosted cake look more special.  Also, you can use them to make a “half cake” or “3/4 cake” (depending on the ‘cup size’—as it were—of the ring), allowing you to make something for a tiny gathering of coffee-or-tea-drinking non-frosted cake eaters!