Luxury Lemon Cake - Make Ahead?
Posted: 31 December 2010 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-03-13

Happy New Year!

I need to take Woody’s Luxury Lemon Cake to work on Monday morning for my boss’s birthday. I made the cake this summer and remember it taking most of an entire day to compose. Unfortunately, I will be gone on Sunday until probably 4 pm - obviously too late to get a start on the whole cake.

With most of Rose’s buttercreams, I use them right after making them. I never have much luck getting the leftover icing to the right consistency. Here’re my questions:

1) Can I make the whole cake tomorrow (Saturday) and leave it in the fridge until Monday? Do you think it will still be fresh enough?
2) Should I make the cake layers tomorrow and freeze them until Sunday evening and then put the cake together? I would make the Lemon curd tomorrow and do the custard base Sunday afternoon/evening.
3) Do you think I should make the whole buttercream tomorrow too?

This is the smoothest icing ever, so I don’t want to substitute a different one. I appreciate you experts’ thoughts.

Mary

Posted: 31 December 2010 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Mary!

I haven’t made this particular cake, but the butter cakes keep remarkably well and actually improve over several days.  I always compose cakes ahead of time and either refrigerate or freeze them when they’re in final form.

1) Can I make the whole cake tomorrow (Saturday) and leave it in the fridge until Monday? Do you think it will still be fresh enough?

Yes. Absolutely.  Put it in its cake carrier (or whatever) and when the frosting is good and cold, wrap around it with plastic wrap, getting it as close as possible to the cake and trapping it in the cake carrier seal so it’s all as wrapped as possible.  Then take it off before you bring it to room temperature—give it about 6 hours to come to room temperature.

2) Should I make the cake layers tomorrow and freeze them until Sunday evening and then put the cake together? I would make the Lemon curd tomorrow and do the custard base Sunday afternoon/evening.

If you don’ compose and fridge all at once like above, no need to freeze the layers.  When they’re completely cool, just wrap them well in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge until you’re ready for them. 

3) Do you think I should make the whole buttercream tomorrow too?

Buttercream keeps great in teh freezer or the fridge.  Give it PLENTY of time to come to room temperature.  Hours and hours and hours.  Don’t attempt to beat it when it’s the least bit cold.  You can mash it around a bit with a spatula to sort of redistribute the cold parts, but don’t do anything really active.  If you’re short on time, just cut it up, like butter, and it will come to room temp much faster.

Good luck, and happy new year to you !!!!!!!!!

I hear this is a fabulous cake!!