Coconut Cream Pie
Posted: 01 January 2011 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I feel very guilty about asking for recipes ( or if anyone else has made them, which recipe they would recommend ) other than Rose’s     ( shame on me )  But I haven’t come across them in her books that I have.
( TCB, RHC, and the pastry bible )

My daughter asked me to make a coconut cream pie.  I saw there was one recipe in the PPB, but it uses homemade frozen ice cream.  Unfortunately, I do not have an ice cream maker and don’t plan to purchase one right now.  She just wants a regular coconut cream pie.

I don’t think she has ever tried coconut cream pie, and she might not even like it.  But I just can’t say no…especially when she asks me to bake something just for her.

Posted: 01 January 2011 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Sorry I guess I should have posted this in the Pie Forum.

Posted: 01 January 2011 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4822
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, I haven’t made a coconut cream pie before, so I can’t be of much help there.  But I did have an idea- you could adapt the coconut cheesecake from RHC to the presentation of the PPB Tahitian Vanilla cheesecake tart (p. 205).  I remember seeing in a forum post that it was delicious.

Good luck!

And since you mentioned location, I moved your thread to the Pie/Pastry Q&A- if that’s not what you wanted, let me know. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 01 January 2011 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-You Julie.  I will definitely look into this.

Posted: 02 January 2011 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Liza!

I remembered coconut cream pie as being like a custard pie with meringue and coconut, so I checked my old Betty Crocker Cookbook, and, indeed, it is a variation of the Vanilla Cream Pie.

Maybe you can adapt Rose compoonents for this general concept.

Pie

3/4 c sugar
1/4 c cornstarch or 1/2 c AP flour
3 c milk
4 eggs
1 T butter
1-1/2 t. vanilla
Baked Crust

Filling:  Combine sugar and cornstarch or flour.  Gradually stir in milk.  Cook and stir over medium high heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly.  Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes more.  Remove from heat.

Separate egg yolks from whites; set whites aside for meringue.  Beat egg yolks lightly with a fork.  Gradually stir about 1 c. of hte hot filling into yolks.  Return all to saucepan; bring to a gentle boil.  C ook and stirl for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.  Stir in butter an dvanilla.  Pour the hot filling into the baked crust.  Evenly spread meringue over hot fillling; seal to edge.  Bake 350 for 15 inutes.  Cool on a wire rack.  Cover and chill to store.

Coconut variation: stir in 1 c flaked coconut with butter and vanilla.  Sprinkle another 1/3 c flaked coconut over meringue before baking.

Meringue:

4 egg whites - room temp
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t cream of tartar
1/2 c sugar

Combine egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar.  Beat with an electric mixer (ha ha) on medium speed about 1 minute or till soft peaks form (tips curl).  Gradually add sugar, 1 T. at a time, beating on high speed about 5 minutes or till mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks and sugar dissolves.  Immediately spread meringe over pie, carefully sealing to edge of pastery to prevent shrinkage.  Bake as directed in pie recipe.

Good luck! Coconut cream pie!  YUM!!!!!!

Posted: 02 January 2011 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-09-02

Liza, do you have a pastry cream recipe you like?  Stir in coconut (lightly toasted-more to dry it out than to brown it) to the warm pastry cream, cool it and pour into a pie shell.  I always topped it with whipped cream .  When I worked at a Stouffer Hotel in the 80’s this is how they made their coconut cream pies.  Very easy and very yummy!  This is also how they made Banana Cream pie as well…just substitute sliced banana for coconut.

Posted: 04 January 2011 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-03-20

Hiya, I remember a fabulous coconut cream pie recipe from a very old Bon Appetite magazine. Pastry cream, a dash of coconut liqueur and topped with lightly toasted coconut, in addition to the betty crocker recipe.

I used to make it regularly for my dad, along with coconut cake, made from an old copy of JOy of cooking. hmmm