January Bake-Off Theme.
Posted: 01 January 2011 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Happy New Year.  I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays and all the treats and sweets it brings. 

What would everyone like to make for January’s Bake-Off?

Posted: 01 January 2011 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Well, let’s see… we had talked a bit about something from one’s “bucket list”, i.e., things you’ve always wanted to make but haven’t (yet). 

Or, there was also the suggestion to make something citrus, as it’s prime season for meyer lemons, seville oranges, kumquats, etc.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 02 January 2011 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Happy New Year!!

Posted: 03 January 2011 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1091
Joined  2009-05-26

I’m game for either one, but leaning toward the citrus theme. What do you ladies think?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 January 2011 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-08-16

someone just sent me a huge can of elegant peanuts….and I have been trying to think of something to do with them…

but…

carry on….smile

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 04 January 2011 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m also game for either, but probably prefer the citrus, too.  Citrus is on my own bucket list, as I’ve been wanting to do a month of citrus-themed baking for a while now. smile

Vera- peanuts! Not sure how many peanut-based recipes there are to choose from in Rose’s collection, there’s one cookie recipe and one ganache (both made with peanut butter).  But they might work well for a stir fry, brittle, cookies, some curries, ice cream, chocolate bark, and homemade peanut butter.  Mmmmmm.  Have fun!

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2011 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-16

After I posted I googled peanut FLOUR.  Stll thinking about it.

What can we make with Citrus that requires real fruit?  I can’t imagine anything too sweet or rich right now.

I also have a whole bag of apples smile

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 04 January 2011 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I’m liking the citrus theme as well.  I think I need something fresh and light after all the heavy treats over Christmas. smile

Posted: 04 January 2011 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, let’s do citrus!

I’m thinking of kumquats, blood oranges and tangerines, so delicious and so easy to get.  I’ll have to think about whether it makes sense for me to get Meyers or Sevilles, shipping is pricey.  I’ve been wanting to try the shaker lemon pie and the love for three oranges pie, as well as the RHC chiffon layer.

The Meyer lemons we get around here are never ripe enough to be the least bit good- they’re pale greenish yellow or yellow at best, and they’re supposed to be yellow-orange.  It took me a long time to realize that the unripe ones are sort of weedy or herbal (not in a good way) and just aren’t worth using.  Someone on the forums alerted me, and I found some ripe (orangish) ones that totally changed the way I think about them.  Now I realize they’re like key limes- wonderful when ripe, unbearable when not (at least for me).

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2011 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Sounds good Julie! I can’t get seville, meyer, or kumquats around here. But there are other possibilities! Lemon, tangerine, lime. I am also intrigued with the love for three oranges pie/tart as well as wanting to make lemon tart/pie. There’s also the orange crown (forgot the full name) in TCB that looks so good.

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2011 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Jenn - 04 January 2011 04:15 PM

There’s also the orange crown (forgot the full name) in TCB that looks so good.

I’ve made this both with oranges and with blood oranges.  If you’re making it a day ahead, brush the lady fingers with syrup and/or liqueur and reduce the gelatin.  And use a mild 50-52% chocolate (like Callebaut dark) to keep the chocolate layer from being too strongly flavored. smile

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2011 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Julie about the tips on chocolate. I’ll keep that in mind.

One more cake just came to mind, the Lemon Canadian Crown from RHC. My only apprehension about that one is that it needs to be frozen and eaten cold. I think I’d rather eat it during the hot summer months.

Going off on a tangent for a bit, I just re-read your awesome Gateau Basque post. I’m planning on making it this weekend - I think my local grocery store have Crofters.

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2011 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Mmmm, the Gateau Basque is lovely.  It’s not as hard as it sounds, I did mine over two days.  Day one, make pastry cream and pate sucree dough.  Day two, assemble and bake.  And I remember that the technique of rolling the dough, draping it over the bottom of a turned-over pan, covering that with the springform, then flipping, worked very well.  Just sounds complicated to describe.  And there’s a change to the recipe, I’m sure you saw it in the post.

Any good quality cherries, jarred or jam, would be nice.  My first pick would probably be the Fruit Perfect sour cherries in a jar (Rose recommends these in the cherry pie recipe), but the Crofter’s Morello is nice, too.

The rum in the pastry cream is a noticeable flavor (but not boozy), which can be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint.

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2011 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-16

I can’t wait to see what you all do smile

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 18 January 2011 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-01-18

Hi, I am new here. I love to bake and am learning so much from Rose’s new cake book, heavenly cakes. My goal is to make every recipe in the book, so I’ll probably have lots of questions!

I already have one - can you use Rose’s mixing technique that she uses for her cakes, for cookies too??

Thanks!