Finding a large balloon whisk
Posted: 04 January 2011 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

I live in San Francisco, and I’ve been trying to find a large balloon whisk for a while with no luck. Julia Child says that a diameter of the balloon whisk (for beating eggs) should be at least half the diameter of your mixing bowl. My large mixing bowl is close to 14 inches, so I need a balloon whisk 6-7 in. in diameter. After scouring a few restaurant supply stores in the city, the largest I found was 4.5 in. They have HUGE whisks, but all skinny. I suppose they don’t sell fat whisks, because everyone (especially restaurants) use mixers instead of beat eggs by hand. Countertop mixers are still too expensive for me, so I still do everything by hand. I actually made genoise by hand using an undersized whisk! I’m hoping getting a large whisk would make life slightly easier.

Rose, in The Cake Bible, mentioned that the circumference of her balloon whisk is 14.5 in, which means the diameter is 4.6 in. That sounds a bit small. On her Youtube videos where she uses the whisk, it looks much bigger than that.

But anyway, does anyone know where I can get a large balloon whisk? Preferably not insanely expensive like the $40 and up ones I’ve seen on Amazon?

Posted: 04 January 2011 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

This one is at JB Prince: http://www.jbprince.com/utensils/balloon-whip-18-inch-stainls-steel.asp

And this one is from La Cuisine:  http://www.lacuisineus.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1990

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 06 January 2011 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

When they say 12 or 18 inches, does that mean the length of the whisk? I’m not quite sure how wide the whisks actually are.

Posted: 10 January 2011 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

I’d call to check before buying, but I think it may mean the circumference.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls