Gumpaste Questions
Posted: 04 January 2011 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Am planning to make gumpaste flowers. Got the recipe frm Scott Clark Woolley’s. I have checked high and low in Cochin where I live for Gum Tragacanth, and the product is not available. Tylose is also difficult to procure here as well.

Since these give elasticity to the dough, is there any other ingredient that I can substitute to give me the same results? Thanks.

Posted: 04 January 2011 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Hi Sharon.  That is the same recipe that I use.  I have had great success with his gumpaste recipe.  I know gum tragacanth is hard to come across, but you can order it from his website.  Also I think if you look on the Global Sugar Art or Sugar Craft webistes, they also sell it.  I purchased mine from Scott Clark Woolley and I have to say he has excellent customer service and very quick shipping.  I live in Ontario, Canada.

I have never made the gumpaste with anything else other than Gum Tragacanth.  I don’t think I would want to make it with anything else because it works so well.

Posted: 04 January 2011 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Hi Liza

Looks like this recipe yields 100% results..in which case,‘ll just wait till I procure the tragacanth. Don’t want to be hasty and not get the exact result you are looking for. Thanks for the info.