Fruitcakes
Posted: 04 January 2011 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-02-23

I saw the blog about fruitcake and wanted to share my experience with Christmas Stollen.  We are not a fruitcake family but a couple of years ago I saw a Stollen at Trader Joe’s.  I purchased it and, to be sure, it was bloody awful so I retired the entire idea of any kind of fruitcake forever.  For anyone who is unfamiliar, a Stollen is a yeasted sweet bread studded with fruit and covered with powdered sugar that is popular at Christmas. 

This year I came across a recipe for Christmas Stollen in Kaffffeehaus so I tried it.  It was identical in appearance to the cardboard loaf I had purchased from Trader Joe’s but that was the end of the comparison.  The dried cherries, apricots, currants and raisins plumped in Amaretto (I strayed a bit from the recipe) were folded into a light brioche type of dough.  After rising, it is formed into a rectangle and sprinkled with sugar and filled with almond paste cubes then folded over once and set aside for a second rise.  After baking, it is dredged in powdered sugar.  The house is filled with the divine scent of freshly baked bread and the fruit and butter in the dough keep it fresh for a few days (if you can resist).

If fruitcake is not your cup of tea, you might consider making a Stollen next Christmas!