2 of 2
which book would you choose?
Posted: 06 January 2011 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Oh yeah,  a candy bible would tickle me pink!!!!

Posted: 10 January 2011 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

I know she is including pralined pecans, perhaps there are others…  Have you tried the english toffee in the cookie book? yum.  The brandy snaps are also pretty candy-like.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 10 January 2011 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2007-11-05

thank you all for your terrific posts on this thread. yes there is already a fabulous praline pecan AND the most amazing brandy snap cannolli’s. do let us know if you have a favorite candy you’d like to see in the book. we’ll be working as quickly as we can for two reasons: we love it, and we love sharing it with all of you!

Posted: 10 January 2011 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Yay Rose! Praline Pecans! Mmmmmm.

And…

most amazing brandy snap

I’ll tell ya’—I’m really looking forward to this one. I believe you can actually create a brandy snap recipe that results in brandy snaps. Until now, I’ve been convinced that all photographed brandy snaps are made of wax, as I have been completely unable to create on. Truly, I’m sure this is more my problem than anything, though!!

My wish list for candy recipes would be the perfect recipe for each of the following basic candies—take ‘em or leave ‘em, they come with appreciation for your consideration:

~ Chocolate, vanilla, maple & brown sugar fudge
~ Caramels
~ English Toffee—the crunchy stuff with nuts (with or without chocolate)
~ Candied nuts
~ Truffies
~ ...and caramel corn
~ Maybe those yummy little pastel mints that look like flattened kisses and have the little white balls on top

And, since you might be scoping this thread now and again, I wanted to say thank you so much for the beautiful, marvellous books that have enriched my life in so many ways !!!

—ak

Posted: 10 January 2011 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, brandy snaps and English toffee are in Rose’s Christmas Cookies.  Here’s a pic of the brandy snaps, they aren’t too difficult and I love, love, loved them. smile

Image Attachments
brandy snaps.jpg
 Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 10 January 2011 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1092
Joined  2009-05-26

I just ordered Rose’s Christmas cookies today. After reading all the rave reviews of the book, I have to have it smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 January 2011 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

brandy snaps and English toffee are in Rose?s Christmas Cookies.

Really pretty, Julie!  And if you made them, I know they’re real!!!!!

Jenn, I think you have the right idea, and I may have to join you in this concept in the next several months!!!!

Posted: 20 January 2011 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1092
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne, you might want to do it sooner than later. I bought a used one on amazon, for half the price (includes shipping). The condition of the book was supposed to be “good”. The description was “missing dust jacket, some scuff marks, highlighting and writing possible.”

When it came, it had a dust jacket, and I flipped through every page and the book was PRISTINE. Like brand new! Am so happy. Already made sugar cookies from it and I want to make everything (there’s an orange shortbread and lemon bars that looked super yummy).

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 January 2011 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-11-16

ABE Books is a very good source.

Posted: 21 January 2011 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Gee, Jenn, there are some great prices there!  I’ll have to wait a while, though, to justify it—obviously, not due to cost here, but because I just don’t make that many cookies, and I got a cookie book for Christmas, plus I have a couple others that are pretty good.  Maybe if I ever get caught up on cakes, I can turn to cookies, because there are a bunch of cookies I know I want to make—plus ones in RCC that I haven’t even SEEN yet I STILL know I want to make!!!!

2 of 2