Bewildered over test baking Yellow butter wedding cake
Posted: 05 January 2011 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Hi

Am making my first wedding cake on the 15th. I test baked the yellow butter wedding cake frm the Cake Bible, pg 484, and baked the two six inch layers and there is the remaining two 9 inches to bake. I have made small batches earlier, so I was pretty much confident in doing the batter all at once as per specified instructions.

For the first time ‘ve encounterd my cake to have a slightly but definitely bitter after taste. Could it have been the baking powder? It was fresh, not even a month old. And each ingredient was weighed and then added as per instructions. All the essential guides to baking a cake were taken care off.

The cake has a soft texture, melt in the mouth and all that, (slightly crumbly a wee bit i must add) but the lurking aftertaste kills it all.

How could this have happened? Would love to know, am non plussed! Thanks.

Posted: 05 January 2011 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I would first suspect the baking powder- is it an aluminum-containing brand?  Rumford works well and doesn’t have a metallic aftertaste.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 05 January 2011 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Its a regular Indian brand that works well for me Julie.

I think my electronic weighing scale was running out of battery or something. It kept showing a .5% difference every now and then and I just shd have taken the cue.

Shd have just measured out the B.P with the levelling spoons but good sense prevailed much later.

Posted: 05 January 2011 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Sharon!

Yes, that could have been the problem—maybe too much baking powder because of your scale.

It is generally recommended that anything in small quantities—especially leavening—should be measured rather than weighed, as the scales are not completely dependable at that level.  With flour, sugar, nuts, eggs, etc., having an extra gram or two won’t make a difference—but with leavening?  Yikes!!!!

I hope that is the problem, as it is so easily solved, and that your wedding cake turns out beautiful and delicious!

—ak

Posted: 05 January 2011 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-01

Thanks Anne

Am hoping too that the cake will turn out really well. Am so thankful I found a possible pitfall before the main event.