Bittersweet Cocoa Almond Genoise
Posted: 05 January 2011 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Here is my take on Bittersweet Cocoa Almond Genoise. I made it for a New Year party at a friend’s house.

I used a low fat cocoa (Ghirardelli). I took Julie’s suggestion and used 75% of the cocoa and 25% of Schaffenberger unsweetened chocolate. The combo worked like a charm and the cake turned out wonderful.

For the filling, I wanted to make light whipped ganache. The ganache was overheated, started separating. Added some cream to fix it and it ended up being very very light whipped ganache, more like chocolate flavored whipped cream. It was wonderful. Fit perfectly with the cake as the cake was pretty rich.

The chocolate decoration is pretty easy to do. I got the inspiration from this blog. I followed instruction down to a T. The only deviation I did was that I apply the chocolate directly onto a cake, instead of forming it around the tin can, as Emma did.

I did not even temper the chocolate and it turned out good and help up throughout the 60 photos that I took and through the evening.

I’m really pleased with how the cake turned out. It didn’t look like the mess that I torted.

And most importantly? My friends LOVED the cake. They all think it looks awesome and it tasted awesome.

Image Attachments
DSC02333_m.jpgDSC02341_m.jpgDSC02363 - Copy_s.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 January 2011 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow! That’s gorgeous!  It’s amazing how the chocolate decorations really dress it up!  I can see how the lighter filling would work wonderfully with all those beautiful layers.  No wonder everyone loved it!!!  What is the outside frosted with?

Posted: 05 January 2011 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Anne! The outside is stablized whipped cream.

Signature 

Posted: 05 January 2011 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Oooooohhhhhh, fluffy heaven, to be sure !!!!!

Posted: 05 January 2011 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

wow jenn !!! bravo !! that is spectacular !! i have seen that blog post many a time while surfing..never got the guts to try it out myself!! But you, you have done a wonderful job… the cake looks so fluffy !!!

Posted: 05 January 2011 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Ahhhh, now you’ve done it- I must, must, must go bake myself one of these NOW!  Absolutely gorgeous presentation, and I’ll bet the cake was wonderful.  So happy to see it smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 05 January 2011 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Ninuh, the chocolate decor is not that hard, you should go make one!

Julie, thanks! If you check out my blog, I posted the link to the forum discussion that featured your cake.

Signature 

Posted: 05 January 2011 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Jenn,
That is one impressive cake! Your friends are going to come calling for more, way to start the New Year! grin

Posted: 05 January 2011 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Jenn

The chocolate decoration looks swell. It catches your eye frm afar. Must have been a yum cake!

Posted: 06 January 2011 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Jenn, what a unique looking cake.  The chocolate really does add an artistic flair!  I looked at the blog you referenced and it’s very interesting as well.  I am tempted to try it one of these days, I can imagine the taste of the dark chocolate with the whipped cream, delicious on its own and even better with the actual cake!

Posted: 06 January 2011 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Wow…looks amazing.  Terrific job!

Posted: 06 January 2011 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Jenn, I absolutely love your chocolate decoration around the cake.  It is stunning against the white whipped cream.  It makes the cake look so elegant.  This is definitely something I would love to try.  Just simply beautiful!!!