Well, today the Egg Police took me away to the Mental Institution when they came upon me weighing one million various sized and colored eggs in the grocery market aisle. They obviously figured I was more than a little deranged When I explained, however, what I was doing, they let me go, said they understood completely, and would enjoy a proper genoise au chocolat—whatever that is.
After that, upon returning to my newly-more-practical kitchen with its tower of plastic receptacles bulging with baking implements [thank you Patrincia, et al], came the next harrowing experience: I baked #2 Genoise au Chocolat. She ended up 1 inch high, just like her predecessor [weep].
The saga: I used Wondra flour [sifted, and later resifted onto eggs]. Five eggs measured in shell: 4 were 2 oz, and and one 2 1//4. I mixed them together and removed amount to come to correct weight. I mixed 1T of the measured superfine sugar, meant for the egg mixture, into the sifted flour, stirred it with fork. Mixed 1/4c boiling water into Droste cocoa weighing the same as 1/3c scooped lightly, added vanilla and whisked well, covered and set aside. Over simmering water, stirred mixture of sugar and eggs until almost 110’. Started whisk beater at 2>6>10 speed, and whipped egg mixture timed 5 mins, plus 2+. I saw the mixture go up about triple, but after a certain point it seemed to diminish just a tad and I found myself glancing at it sceptically, but then ignored it. I was afraid to go beyond this time-frame [how often I have heard others say this!]
Removed 1 cup of egg mixture to the chocolate plus 1/2c left in the whisk [a Hector tip] and then another half cup. Folded it into chocolate [not hot—room temp]. Sifted rest of flour onto eggs, folded. Folded in chocolate mixture, added room temp walnut oil twice [testing new trick walnut oil. Re the walnut oil, I don’t know if I did this wrong. I measured 3T as the recipe called for 3T of beurre noisette -then I thought, let’s weigh it - 3T of walnut oil weighed less than 3T of noisette, so I fixed that making 37 g of walnut. Also wondering if the properties of walnut oil required using more or less—structure etc. eludes me. As do conversion and fractions that seem to come so easily to most of you.
So, then I lowered the oven from 375 to 350, sat the cake on its pizza stone, and hoped for the best. As I had poured the batter into the pan [prepped with bakers joy, parchment on bottom, more bakers joy], I noticed those little bubbles as I poured [oh no]. Timed it for 30”. And watched—Awfully early, about 20 min, it seemed to be leaving the sides and getting a little dried and crackly looking about an inch around the top about an inch in. I am wondering what to do, if anything. It became obvious that it was not going to rise higher. I just waited it out, the sides did seem to be leaving the pan sides. At 30” I took it out, and just as I suspected, little tiny holes all over the top. After cooled, I sliced a thin layer across part of the bottom. At least no flour pebbles this time. Perhaps Wondra helped there. The cake is flat, no doming or falling in..
Today there is a fabulous posting from Hector containing his new commandments for perfect White Genoise! However, I wanted to get this one working before I try it. >’.’<