1 of 2
Perfect Pound Cake / Chocolate Bread / All American Choco Butter Cake baked as bread
Posted: 08 January 2011 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

My mechanic did me a very good turn recently, so I wanted to thank him—naturally, with cake! Asking him his fave, he said pound cake, so I wanted to make him regular and chocolate. Actually, I wanted to make him regular and whoopie pies, but I was outvoted on this one—which worked-out for the best!

I was going to make the All American Chocolate Butter Cake as a bread to go with the pound cake, but a close and wonderful friend suggested that I make the Chocolate Bread (chocolate pound cake). I pooh-poohed her as too similar to regular pound cake. She suggested (read: “harassed me about”) it again, this time, reinforcing her advice with logic. I paraphrase: “Did he or did he not say pound cake?” Well, he did, so I made both and decided to give him the prettiest chocolate cake along with the regular pound cake. Of course, I made extra for the freezer!

In the end, he got the Perfect Pound Cake and the Chocolate Bread, and what was his favorite? The Dark Horse—The Chocolate Bread! Which just goes to show ya’, a good friend’s advice is always worth serious consideration!

Posting pics of each below with notes, in case you’re interested in cake-specific info!

Image Attachments
Small (5).jpgSmall (2).jpgSmall (4).jpgSmall (6).jpg

Posted: 08 January 2011 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Perfect Pound Cake

Everyone was just crazy about this cake!  My husband said that the texture reminds you of the pound cake you used to get at the store, but it doesn’t leave the nasty taste in your mouth.  I told him the Sara Lee intro, and he said that that was it. 

The cake tastes like you’re eating vanilla ice cream.  All the eggs, butter and all!  And I made the double-deluxe vanilla version—so good!!!!! 

My boss was amazed by the piece I brought him.  I knew he would love it, because pound cake is his fave, and this was his first Rose pound cake experience!

Next time, I’m going to make the chewy version (2nd paragraph under “Understanding”) just for kicks.

Beautiful cake, easy, fast and wonderful!!!!!

Image Attachments
Small (9).jpgSmall.jpg

Posted: 08 January 2011 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Chocolate Bread

I made an intentional modification—and an accidental modification—to this recipe.

I’d read several folks saying that this cake could be more chocolaty, so I increased the cocoa powder by 50% and took that amount out of the flour.  I think the recipe calls for 40g., but I used 60g, to make the flour:cocoa powder ratio the same as Rose’s other chocolate cakes.  I figured the less chocolate might have been to make it more like dark bread and less like chocolate perhaps.

Accidentally, I used 1T (per batch) too much butter, but it didn’t seem to have a negative effect.

This cake is much lighter than you’d expect, but still plenty toothsome and pound-cake dense.  Side-by-side with “regular” chocolate cake, you can taste the eggs, but in a vacuum, it just tastes like just another fabulous Rose chocolate cake.

At the 20-minute tent-it baking time, the little cakes were already well-domed (so were the regular pound cakes above), but the “big” bread wasn’t—in the end, though, it domed right up!

This is the one that my mechanic liked the best, and I gave slices to others, as well, all to universal renoun!

Image Attachments
Small (8).jpgSmall (12).jpgSmall (13).jpg

Posted: 08 January 2011 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

All American Chocolate Butter Cake (baked as a bread)

This cake is the same as the Perfect All American Chocolate Torte, except with whole eggs rather than yolks.  It’s more dense than the Devil’s food, but less dense than the Domingo.  It’s a perfect texture, I think, for a layer cake, but this time, I made it as a bread.

I often make little breads for the freezer when I make cake, but I’m not all that worried if they dome or not.  However, this time, I wanted it to match the pound cakes, so I thought I’d see if I could make them dome in a more serious way and generally make them breadier looking.

I did two things:

1.  I let them sit on the counter for 40 minutes after filling the pans to expel leavening (I’m sure I could just use less, but I wasn’t sure how much); and
2.  I filled the pans more than I normally would.

Normally, I fill them like I would a cake—give them their weight of batter based on the pan dimensions, etc.  I made “big bread + 3 mini bread” amount, but I baked it in “big bread + 2 mini breads.”  I filled the pans a bit more than halfway to get a bread height, rather than a cake height.

The little loaf did quite well.  The big one was respectable, but looked more “double chinned” than domed. 

But they baked through, have a fabulous texture and if they wren’t sitting next to proper pound cakes, would scape through!  Obviously, this cake is lighter and more open than the chocolate bread, because it’s really just a cake in bread clothing.  A FABULOUS cake in bread clothing, though!! 

But I’d say if you can pretty much successfully bake a cake as a bread shape.

(sorry—no creepy oven reflection picture here)

Image Attachments
Small (7).jpgSmall (3).jpg

Posted: 08 January 2011 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27

Some of those cake tops really exploded.  Are you sure of your oven temperature?  I’ve made Rose’s Pound cake only once, but I recall a gentle dome, that had a nice split down the middle, but I followed her advice about running a knife down the center after a few minutes of baking.  I’m not sure it would have split otherwise.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 08 January 2011 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Oh so yummy Anne!  Are you giving your mechanic ALL of your treats you baked?  You need to keep some for yourself.  ( Sorry, that was the selfish side of me speaking.  LOL )

Did you use the vanilla infused syrup on the vanilla pound cake?

Posted: 08 January 2011 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Some of those cake tops really exploded…I recall a gentle dome, that had a nice split down the middle, but I followed her advice about running a knife down the center after a few minutes of baking….

Hi, Charles T!  They actually exploded a bit less than they appear, as about a 1” wide strip stuck to the aluminum foil tent, despite heavily buttering it.  My tenting skills are definitely lacking.  I didn’t do the knife thing because I didn’t want to risk the cakes falling, plus I like the natural split more than neat split.

Oh so yummy Anne!  Are you giving your mechanic ALL of your treats you baked?  ... Did you use the vanilla infused syrup on the vanilla pound cake?

Thanks so much, Liza!  I brought Tom a big vanilla pound cake and the big Chocolate Bread.  Otherwise, it’s all in my shocking freezer, except for some random slices for workfolk.  Yes!  I did hte vanilla bean in the milk thing, and you know, you really get ALL the seeds out that way and really easily!  It was awesome!

Posted: 08 January 2011 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 09 January 2011 03:02 AM

1? wide strip stuck to the aluminum foil tent, despite heavily buttering it.

Ah, that explains it.  I couldn’t figure out how that could possibly have happened.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 09 January 2011 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Anne, thanks so much for the detailed posts!!  Following your lead, I made a one-layer Golden Luxury Butter cake…it is so light and such a great flavor from the white chocolate!  Mine also baked up this time with a pound-cake like crust—not sure why, but which I found absolutely delicious.  Then I went ahead and made a pound cake too for comparison’s sake!  When I made the chocolate bread last week, I liked it but it didn’t make me swoon.  The Golden Lux is my favorite of the two and my Mom votes with me, but my in-laws and the aunts were all over the pound cake, so go figure.

Now I’ll have to try that All American Chocolate Butter cake next…I think I may start baking in pairs, because it’s so interesting to compare the cakes side by side, and it also helps my understanding of how different ingredients affect flavor and texture. 

BTW did you like the Golden Lux better than the White Chocolate whisper?  I see the only difference is yolks vs. whites…

Posted: 09 January 2011 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hey,  Loop!

Yeah, that Golden Lux is THE SERIOUS GOODS, isn’t it?  I think the white chocolate gives it that incredible crust.  As I recall, the white chocolate whisper gets it, too, but not quite as much as the golden lux (yolks of lux might contribute a bit).  If I had to pick one or the other, I’d go for Goden Lux, but I like yellow more than white.  But they’re both so good—I would do one if I wanted white, the other if I wanted yellow, and if it didn’t matter…yellow!!!

Did you make regular or the chewy pound cake variation?

On your chocolate bread, did you use written chocolate or increase it?

The All American Chocolate Butter Cake is very yummy.  It is nothing fancy—just pure, basic chocolate cake—but it’s surely well done!  What are you going to pair with it when you bake it?  Chocolate Fudge Cake would be an interesting comparison, I think.  Haven’t made that one, myself, yet.

Posted: 10 January 2011 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Great post, Anne, so happy to see it!  I loved hearing that the 50% increase in the chocolate bread worked, I’m one who finds it not quite chocolate-y enough.  And I love your shot of all the little pieces, looks like a cake city.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 10 January 2011 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Julie!!  The extra chocolate (and the accidental extra butter) worked great!

looks like a cake city

Oh, move me there, and NOW!  My neice (who is my same age) and I used to play Barbies all the time, and my mater would call our incredible overabundance of Barbie stuff “Barbie City.”  We used to talk about hwo when we were 18, we were going to move out and get our own apartment, so we could leave our Barbies set up all the time and not have to clean them up when we were done.

Posted: 11 January 2011 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hey there, I made the regular version of pound cake—couldn’t see myself dumping in all of that confectioners’ sugar, even though I do like dense pound cakes for some reason!  I also made the chocolate bread with just the normal amount of cocoa.  You know me, not adventurous enough to go fiddling with the recipes… 

But hm, what would be a good comparison cake…now that’s something that will be fun to think about.  So far I’ve made the devil’s food, double chocolate valentine, chocolate velvet, and choc ice cream cake, and of course my fave so far, the domingo.  Also made the choc genoise but it’s too different to compare.  Even tho the domingo is my favorite so far, I think I should go back and try that devil’s food one again…I also recall the chocolate velvet being out of this world straight out of the oven, but pretty dry the next day.  I haven’t made the deep passion yet, but I’m not wild about oil cakes (even though the choc ice cream cake comes out great with the ice cream!)...and the chocolate cake recipe w/ the caramel ganache looks good, but is almost the same as the devil’s food less the yolks and brown sugar and also has a little less chocolate..so I’m not that compelled to make it.  I am honestly not tempted by the tomato soup chocolate cake.  Now my question is…has anyone ever gotten the gumption to make the down-home mayonnaise cake from TCB??  Now THAT would be a comparison for you…the down home mayonnaise vs. the tomato soup cake!

Posted: 11 January 2011 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hey, Loop!

If you’ve made the cake part of the Double Chocolate Valentine (RHC), then you’ve also made the Perfect All American Chocolate Torte (TCB)(which is the Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake (TCB) except using all yolks instead of whole eggs, and in this case, the yolks don’t make a flavor difference—the sub there to make a non-doming difference).  One note, though, is the Double Chocolate Valentine has 1T less butter than the PAAC Torte.

If you’ve made the Chocolate Velvet Fudge Cake (RHC), then you’ve also made the Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake (TCB).

If you’ve made the Chocolate Ice Cream Cake (RHC), then you’ve made the cake part of German Chocolate Cake (RHC).

If you’ve made the Chocolate Domingo Cake (TCB), then you’ve also made the cake part of each of the Deep Chocolate Passion Wedding Cake (RHC), Mud Turtle Cupcakes (RHC), The Double Chocolate Whammy Groom’s Cake (RHC) and the Bernachon Palete D’Or (RHC).

Of course, there might be a different extract here or there or an added liquor, but the chocolate, flour, sugar, eggs and liquid are what I compared for the above.  Anyone—feel free to point out any inaccuracies!

I couldn’t find any equivalents for these, though:

~ Devil’s Food Cake (RHC p 99) - which you’ve made
~ Chocolate Fudge Cake (TCB p 60)
~ Triple Layer Devil’s Food Cake (TCB p 62)
~ Down-Home Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake (TCB p 64) - Obviously, this would be an oil cake and, thus, might help you achieve your low-carb goals by being less tempting
~ The Chocolate Tomato Cake (RHC p 87)
~ Chocolate Banana Stud Cake (RHC p 99)
~ Chocolate Layer Cake (RHC p 104) - the one with the caramel ganache - This looks like the Perfect All American Butter Cake, but doing the trick Rose recently suggested for the Cordon Rose—replacing some butter with 2T oil

Here’s a couple of potentially interesting comparisons:

Cordon Rose Banana Cake (TCB p 68) vs. Chocolate Banana Stud Cake (RHC p 96)
Same flour (or flour + cocoa, as applicable), sugar (basically, if you include the extra banana) and eggs—but Cordon Rose has more banana, while Banana Stud has more sour cream, and chocolate stud doesn’t have the lemon zest that makes the Cordon Rose so amazing.

Black Chocolate Party Cake (RHC p 119) vs. Bittersweet Coco Almond Genoise (TCB p 134)Both dense chocolate cakes with nuts, but very different.

...and, as you say, the Campbells vs. Kraft comparison, is also a possible, and, boy, if you do that one, please report back, sparing no details, however slight !!!!!!!

I await with bated breath your ultimate decision and the results!!!!

Posted: 12 May 2011 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

I told you Ann, even before you became the happy owner of The Cake Bible that the chocolate bread is AWESOME!

I love it so much that I rarely bake it because every time I do, I end up eating the ENTIRE THING all by myself in like 3 days!!! Too good.

It is one of my fave. I’m so glad that your friend, who happens to be a poundcake lover, liked it even more than classic poundcake!

Posted: 12 May 2011 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Yes, Jose, I remember!!  It is wonderful.  I did increase the cocoa content, because some thought it needed it.  I might try, as an experiment, making it ‘by the book’ just to see what it’s like!

1 of 2