Another “My First Cake” post…and it’s SO GORGEOUS…not.
Posted: 08 January 2011 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-12-27

I’ve made “cakes” before but they were all box mixes, cheap nonstick pans, measuring cups for ingredients, etc.

For Christmas, I got TCB and a food scale and a kitchenaid bowl-lift 4.5 quart mixer and some cake flour, and I bought myself some 9x2 wilton round cake pans, and went ahead and took the plunge on New Year’s Eve…made the All-Occasion Downy Yellow cake, and used storebought frosting (yes, lazy, I know) and attempted to “decorate” it a bit…here’s my lovely first attempt!

Isn’t it AMAZING? Like, amazingly mediocre! The top layer isn’t centered on the bottom layer, the frosting would NOT smooth (maybe because I was using a bread knife to apply it…), I couldn’t find my white buttercream frosting so I just covered the thing with green sprinkles so that the piped 2011 would stand out…but at least it tasted good! The sprinkes actually made it extra tasty :D The cake part was great, although after like two days it was dry as old bread :( I have been eating slices in bowls of milk for breakfast each morning :D so delicious!

Posted: 08 January 2011 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Congratulations on making your first cake from scratch!!!  Wow!!!!  Your were certainly spoiled at Christmas.  What wonderful gifts.  I think it looks great.  And you know, what matters most is how it tastes.  I am happy that you enjoyed it.  This is one of my favourite cakes from the cake bible. 

Next time you will be making your cake and icing from scratch.  Have you decided what cake you are going to make next from TCB?

Posted: 08 January 2011 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-12-27

I think I’m going to try the same cake again, but this time not screw up the order of operations (lol)...my cake bible was across the room from where I was working with the liquid ingredients, and I remembered the instructions wrong and ended up mixing together the yolks, butter, and vanilla before I realized that was the wrong way to do it :/ probably part of the reason that the cake got so dry so fast!

Posted: 08 January 2011 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations!  Isn’t piping really fun, no matter what you think of it in the end?  I think your cake has a celebratory abandon suitable to a 2011 cake, so I’d say it looks perfect!!!!!!  And the sprinkles were a great idea!

Hey, if you want to start your homemade buttercream life simply try either (1) milk chocolate buttercream (which is simply mixing cooled melted chocolate into buttter)—and it is AMAZING or (2) the neoclassic buttercream.  On the video page, Rose has a a video showing you how to make it!

Also, if you refrigerate your cake until its cold, then slice it and wrap the slices, it’ll say moist in the fridge for many days.  You can also freeze the slices.  But your cake-for-breakfast idea is quite impressive.  In fact, I like it TOO much!  I’ll have to try to forget that one, lest I adopt it myself.

Happy baking in 2011!!!!!!!!

Posted: 09 January 2011 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Wow, Santa was good to you!!  Hope you had fun making your first cake from scratch ... I predict you’ll get hooked soon enough!  BTW don’t feel guilty about using the store-bought frosting.  One step at a time, sometimes!  I’ve gotten overly ambitious before and it never turns out well : ) 

Looking forward to seeing your future efforts on the board!

Posted: 10 January 2011 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations!  And welcome to our world… smile

Yes to what Anne said, try out the milk chocolate buttercream (just be careful of chocolate percentages and frost the cake when the frosting is first made) or the neoclassic- you’ll never, ever go back to store-bought or powdered sugar buttercreams.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour