Help me recreate this cake!
Posted: 09 January 2011 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

The best cake/anything with chocolate I’ve ever had is the raspberry chocolate cake from Madeleine Cafe in San Francisco. The cake is chocolate sponge layered and frosted with raspberry-infused chocolate ganache, then topped with fresh raspberries, blood oranges, and raspberry glaze. The cake was a whopping $38 for a 10-incher, but totally worth it! The cake was so moist and the alternating layers of moist sponge and creamy ganache just melted together in my mouth! The raspberry glaze was so intensely flavored too!

I’m just a beginning baker, but I hope to recreate this cake someday. I’m curious as to what Rose recipes I can use to put this cake together.

Here are my ideas…
- chocolate genoise (maybe soaked with a raspberry liqueur syrup) or the moist chocolate genoise?
- Rose has a lot of chocolate ganache recipes. I’m not sure which one to use.
- raspberry glaze: Could I turn Rose’s raspberry conserve into a glaze? Maybe strain out the seeds and reduce a bit more?

Here are the photos:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5768192&l=96658bb77f&id=517859766
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5768058&l=28a02fb8b4&id=517859766
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5768088&l=091a7fcfce&id=517859766

Posted: 09 January 2011 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi Michael,
In terms of which ganache to use, I highly recommend the Raspberry Ganache from page 191 of RHC.  The raspberry flavor was pronounced and balanced perfectly with the chocolate.  (I made the moist chocolate genoise too, but overbaked it so can’t vouch for its moistness!)  For the raspberry glaze, you may want to take the simple approach and do what Rose does for the raspberries atop the Double Chocolate Valentine (RHC p. 113), and just melt some red currant jelly with which to glaze the berries.

Good luck recreating your cake!

Posted: 09 January 2011 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  145
Joined  2010-05-24

Any recommendations from The Cake Bible? I do not have RHC.

Posted: 09 January 2011 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2010-04-18

Hey there… i highly highly highly recommed you give the raspberry ganache from The cake bible a go . Its my favorite ganache to date ! It has the most wonderful raspberry scent and it tastes divine. I highly recommed. I paird it with the deep chocolate passion cake syruped with millk chocolate ganache.

Posted: 09 January 2011 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to the raspberry ganache from the Cake Bible!

For the sponge, I’d probably pick the genoise au chocolate, just because I love it so much.  But you could also go with the moist chocolate genoise.

To glaze the raspberries, either seedless raspberry jam diluted with a little framboise eau de vie, or raspberry puree from the Cake Bible.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up