Slightly Healthier Baking Questions
Posted: 11 January 2011 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-08-16

Until I got the itch to bake I had not had butter in the house in many many years.  I just had a physical.  My Doctor says she isn’t worried, but yes, there was an increase in my cholesterol.  And I am not giving up baking. 

Question:  When I am baking strictly for the home, what healthy fats can I use instead of butter.  And If I can’t eliminate it entirely, how can I decrease butter and animal fat in my baking.  Oils? Avocado? Fruits?  What else can I do. 

Question:  When I am baking for the home, how can I decrease white flour in my baking.  Is there a formula where I can substitute any of the available flours that we are now seeing on grocers shelves like Sorghum, Soy, Millet, Quinoa and so forth.

If these are addressed elsewhere, please let me know.

Baking Course:

If I want to do it myself, without taking a formal course, should I just work through the Cake Bible and RHC, in order and make every recipe in order that they appear or is there another way?  I want to get good smile

I am so grateful for this website.

Thanks!

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 11 January 2011 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-16

I don’t want butter in the house.  Its not the cake that I am eating that raised my cholesterol because I bake whole cakes and bring them to work or to someone elses house.  Its that if you have butter in the house its too tempting to use it other ways.  And I was accustomed all this time to using Olive oil for sauteing or frying the occasional egg, but now the butter is right there because I bake.  I don’t think shortening will be good for my cholesterol.  But thanks for the suggestions.

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 11 January 2011 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-16

Thanks Julie

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss