Has anyone tried baking Rose’s Perfect pound cake in a regular 8’’ or 9’’ pan?
Posted: 12 January 2011 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Everyone here seems to like Rose’s Perfect Pound Cake (Pg 25, TCB) better than the All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake (Pg 39) ...they just love the fluffiness and velvetty feel of the pefect pound cake.

I have’nt baked the perfect pound cake in any other pan other than the loaf pan….has anyone tried baking it in a regular 8’’ or 9’’ pan and has had good results? If yes, kindly revert, want to bake a 3 tier cake with it.Thanks.

Posted: 12 January 2011 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

I haven’t tried the layer cake pans but it wasn’t nearly as good when I tried it in a 12 cup tube pan.  Rose says it works best in small pans, and it’s true, the texture and flavor change when you move to a larger pan.

If you do try it, please report back.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 12 January 2011 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

If I wanted a “fluffy, velvety” yellow cake for my top tier, I’d go with the Golden Luxury Butter Cake.  It’s my fave of all the yellows, and I’d say “fluffy” and “velvety” describe it perfectly!!!

Posted: 12 January 2011 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

pan upsizing or rose factors for butter cakes aren’t my specialty.  butter cakes are tender and require a maximum cake pan widht for sides support.  I am afraid the pound cake will sink on the center when baked on any pan wider than 4 to 5 inches on it’s narrowest measurement, such narrow pans are loaf and tube pans.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 13 January 2011 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

Thanks Hector…since am not sure, I won’t do…also will remember what Julie said, that the flavor and texture changes when baked in larger pans.