Crumbly Chocolate Cake
Posted: 15 January 2011 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-01-15

I am in search of the perfect, no-fail chocolate cake.  I have tried many recipes and have had various problems arise with each one.  I tried the chocolate butter wedding cake from TCB this week in preparation for a wedding cake that I will be making next month.  It was very crumbly when cut.  The flavor is perfect but won’t hold up well to make perfect wedding cake slices.  I didn’t syrup the 6-inch layers but I did syrup the 9-inch layers.  I didn’t notice any difference in the texture.  What could be the cause of this and how can I fix it?

Posted: 15 January 2011 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-01-15

Thank you for your help.  I did weigh all the ingredients vs. measuring them.  I used cake flour.  I didn’t cover the chocolate mixture when it cooled.  I am going to make another test today.  In reading other posts some suggestions were to use all-purpose flour instead of cake flour.  I will try using all-purpose, covering the chocolate and beating it longer.  I watched the cake very carefully last time to avoid over baking.  The crumb was very moist so I doubt that was the issue.  My biggest concern is that the cake will fall apart when cut at the reception.  Unfortunately for me, I have yet to find a chocolate cake recipe that I can make well consistently.  I’m thinking it’s me and not the cake.

Posted: 15 January 2011 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-01-15

I am unsure on the brand of cocoa.  I bought it in bulk at a supply store in Utah.  I put it in a different container and tossed the bag it came in.  That may be the next element to change.  I am very thankful to have found a forum where I can ask questions and get educated answers.  You all are very helpful.

Posted: 30 August 2013 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-12-16

I have had similar issues in the past, and now have been asked for a chocolate wedding cake.  We’e you able to solve your issues with the suggestions offered?