What Cake goes with Bavarian Whipped Cream frosting and filling
Posted: 17 January 2011 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-12-13

I’m doing a wedding cake in September and the bride does not want fondant.  Instead, she wants Bavarian whipped cream for the filling and frosting.  I’m going to suggest Rose’s super stabilized whipped cream.  She wants white and chocolate cakes.  I don’t want to use butter cakes, since the cake must be refrigerated when using the whipped cream icing and the butter cakes don’t taste as good when cold.  Does anyone have suggestions for the cake?  And does anyone have a recipe for the Bavarian whipped cream or know if the recipe in Rose’s Cake bible for the Super Stabilized whipped cream is the same thing?  Thanks.

Posted: 17 January 2011 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Hi Wanda,

Bavarian Cream is different from superstabilized whipped cream.  Bavarian Cream is a combination of creme anglaise, whipped cream and gelatin ( The Vanilla Version )  and superstabilzed whipped cream is whipped cream stabilzed with gelatin.  The bavarian cream makes a wonderful filling and you could definitely use the superstabilzed whipped cream for the frosting.

Rose’s deep dark passion chocolate cake is an oil cake, which makes it nice and moist even straight from the fridge.  You could also try a sponge/genoise for the cakes.

Posted: 18 January 2011 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-13

Thank you Lisa,  I’ll try the cakes you suggested.  My husband will get the benefit of these ‘practice cakes’.  Do you happen to have a recipe for the Bavarian cream filling?  Thanks in advance.

Posted: 18 January 2011 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-13

Lisa,  I found a recipe for Vanilla Bavarian Cream in the Cake Bible.  Do you think it would be thick enough for the cake filling?

Posted: 19 January 2011 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, but to be sure, you should chill the cake before filling, and also chill the bavarian filling.  It will continue to firm (because of the gelatin) for 24hrs after making it.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II