straining a ganache glaze
Posted: 17 January 2011 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-11-29

Re making a ganache glaze and the recipe says to “strain” it through a fine mesh strainer, or in RHC she states to “press through” the strainer… I don’t understand this. Even if you make the ganache just right, it’s going to be thick and opaque (hence the pressing) but what am I supposed to end up with once it’s strained? How thick will it be? does this take all the solids out of the glaze so we end up with something very thin and more like what I thought a “glaze” was?

I’ve hunted for a RLB ganache glaze video on youtube and didn’t find one. Would love to see this done. Perhaps another person has done a video about this.

Posted: 17 January 2011 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

If you are in reference to a ganache glaze (with chocolate, cream, and perhaps liqueur)—the glaze’s consistency will depend on the temperature more than any other factor.  Usually it’s best to pour two thin coats rather than one thick coat (the thicker coats often have gaps or can look droopy).  The straining does help remove any unmelted pieces and also helps with air bubbles (I think!)—it basically ensures an ultra smooth glaze—and doesn’t really remove so many solids that the glaze changes consistency.  If, however, you are in reference to the lacquer glaze (on the deep chocolate passion wedding cake)—it is very runny and I think part of the straining is again to remove undissolved gelatin/chocolate/cocoa lumps if any remain in the glaze.  Again—it doesn’t really change the consistency.

Posted: 19 January 2011 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

press through means you use the back of a spoon or a silicone spatula and rub it on the strainer so all passes though.  I often press thru only half way, depends, if there are many solids caught on the strainer and your concoction isn’t hot enough to dissolve them after it passes thru the strainer, then I don’t press though or just do so leaving the grotesque out!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/