Is it Safe ????? Urgent help Req
Posted: 17 January 2011 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2010-10-06

Hi.. I have to bake a cake for a friend and want to make a Genoise. However as she is pregnant,  I was wondering if I it is all right to use liquor to moist the cake.. and also want to ask.. as I am big fan of Buttercream I want to make Mousseline BC which has liquor as well as raw egg white. Will it be safe for Pregnant lady ????

Here in Japan I don’t get buttermilk., Can I use Sour cream as substitute or can u suggest anything else, if yes then what should be the ratio?? I want to make Red Velvet cake from RHC.

In India if I am not wrong we dilute Yoghurt with water and mix it well and add pinch of salt and that our version of buttercream I guess.

Many thanks for your advice and help smile

Cheers!!
Sagarika

Posted: 17 January 2011 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

The amount of liqueur that she would be ingesting would be minimal; however, some people may opt to not chance it with either liqueur or egg white (I’m pregnant and honestly would prefer to chance it to these ingredients than consume ultra processed products!).  Alternatively, Rose’s Golden Genoise or Moist Chocolate Genoise (I think!!) don’t require syruping.  Or, you could just do a sugar syrup with no liqueur.  I am a huge fan of ganache or a whipped cream frosting so perhaps you could use those instead of Mouselline buttercream if you were concerned.  My apologies—I’m thinking of TCB recipes, but some of these appear in RHC in places as well. 

I cannot offer much help re: substitutes as altering Rose’s recipes often can produce very different results.

Posted: 17 January 2011 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2010-10-06

Hii Sherrie..Congratulations and Many thanks for your reply.. I too love whipped cream, but roses can be made only with Mousseline, however its better I avoid and kind of Alcohol and use Sugar syrup only for Genoise as well:).

I am aware of the change which may occur due to substitute ingredient, I am fine with that, as I have no other option. I don’t get buttermilk here.

Posted: 18 January 2011 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

For the buttermilk, a decent substitution would be to add 1 tbsp of either lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of 1% milk.  Let it sit for about 10 minutes to curdle.  Buttermilk is just milk with the addition of acidity.  I can’t remember how much buttermilk the recipe calls for but you can use a straight substitution.  I think that the red velvet recipie asks for low fat buttermilk so use 1% milk.  The sour cream does not have the scidity required for the cake.

Posted: 18 January 2011 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

If you do a whipped cream stabilized with white chocolate (or a whipped white chocolate ganache) it may be firm enough for piping Roses—I think Rose also had a whipped cream recipe that is done in a food processor that she claims is great for piping (can’t recall if it was borders or roses too).

Posted: 18 January 2011 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Regarding the question of liqueurs for your friend, you’d better ask her directly.  There are so many differing views from country to country.  Here in the U.S. the general view is to avoid alcohol, yet in Europe a little red wine is considered healthy. 

If you’re looking for genoise without alcohol, you can make a carmelized sugar syrup or use fruit juice/flavorings in place of the liquor.  For instance, a genoise au chocolate with caramelized sugar/vanilla syrup, or caramelized sugar/coffee syrup would be lovely.  Or, a genoise classique with lemon syrup is wonderful served with fruit.

And yes, the golden genoise doesn’t need any syrup, and you could pair it with lemon curd mousseline (no alcohol).  It’s another wonderful cake.

You may be able to find pasteurized egg whites, if you decide they’re necessary.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 18 January 2011 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Re: whipped cream roses, The Cake Bible recommends gelatin-stabilized whipped cream, chilled a little first if necessary.

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2011 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2008-01-24

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/buttermilk.htm

This is a great buttermilk reference.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 19 January 2011 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Gene, thanks for this informative link. I live in Mexico, where cultured buttermilk is not available. I am always looking for way to make my own, but every recipe I see calls for a starter of cultured buttermilk, which is not available. Maybe someday I will find it here.
In the meantime, I use thinned yogurt when a recipe calls for buttermilk. Adding vinegar or lemon juice to milk provides the proper acidity, but it is not the same consistency of cultured buttermilk, so the batters may be thinner. I thin yogurt with milk to a buttermilk-like consistency, and then add half the amount of vinegar called for to a cup of thinned yogurt. I am only adding half because yogurt already has some acidity. This gives me the proper consistency and close to the proper acidity.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 19 January 2011 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve read an article from FDA, that the hot syrup when making mousseline is sufficient to kill salmonella!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 19 January 2011 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

oh, and fyi, I’ve never heard of anyone getting sick from mousseline, pregnant or not.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 19 January 2011 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2008-01-24

Thinned yoghurt is a good substitute. By the way Sagarika. If sour cream is available you can use a couple spoons of that as a starter in milk to make buttermilk. Starters are available from a number of online sources for those who want the over the top authentic buttermilk experience. For example:

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/buttermilk-starter-318.html

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 20 January 2011 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Gene - 19 January 2011 10:07 AM

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/buttermilk.htm

This is a great buttermilk reference.

Enjoyed it!  I like the part where he tells how to form a buttermilk starter from raw milk, it reminds me of the process of creating a sourdough starter.

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2011 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Wouldn’t the alcohol evaporate when baking?

Posted: 20 January 2011 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Cooking doesn’t evaporate all the alcohol, but in this case the alcohol isn’t heated/cooked, but rather added to a cool syrup.

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2011 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Oh, then that is different because the alcohol will not be altered