Is it Safe ????? Urgent help Req
Posted: 17 January 2011 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2010-10-06

Hi.. I have to bake a cake for a friend and want to make a Genoise. However as she is pregnant,  I was wondering if I it is all right to use liquor to moist the cake.. and also want to ask.. as I am big fan of Buttercream I want to make Mousseline BC which has liquor as well as raw egg white. Will it be safe for Pregnant lady ????

Here in Japan I don’t get buttermilk., Can I use Sour cream as substitute or can u suggest anything else, if yes then what should be the ratio?? I want to make Red Velvet cake from RHC.

In India if I am not wrong we dilute Yoghurt with water and mix it well and add pinch of salt and that our version of buttercream I guess.

Many thanks for your advice and help smile

Cheers!!
Sagarika

Posted: 17 January 2011 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2010-10-06

Hii Sherrie..Congratulations and Many thanks for your reply.. I too love whipped cream, but roses can be made only with Mousseline, however its better I avoid and kind of Alcohol and use Sugar syrup only for Genoise as well:).

I am aware of the change which may occur due to substitute ingredient, I am fine with that, as I have no other option. I don’t get buttermilk here.

Posted: 18 January 2011 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2010-12-29

For the buttermilk, a decent substitution would be to add 1 tbsp of either lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of 1% milk.  Let it sit for about 10 minutes to curdle.  Buttermilk is just milk with the addition of acidity.  I can’t remember how much buttermilk the recipe calls for but you can use a straight substitution.  I think that the red velvet recipie asks for low fat buttermilk so use 1% milk.  The sour cream does not have the scidity required for the cake.