Storing Buttercream in the Fridge
Posted: 21 January 2011 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hello everyone!
I am very excited to have joined Rose’s forum and website.  I am a “new baker” of cakes and i have been learning from the Cake Bible.  I have taken two Wilton cake decorating classes and i am hoping to get into the “cake business”. 
Right now i am learning fundamentals - here is my question:  At this time i prefer “real” buttercream rather than crisco buttercream.  When i make the buttercream i usually have some left over and i store it in a tupperware in the fridge.  When i take it out the next day or so to practice more flowers ( i don’t re-beat the cream yet).  i let it get to room temp and i mix it with a spoon until smooth.  I notice that sometimes i will have liquid in the cream and it is not the same texture as when it was first made.  Is this because i don’t re-beat the cream at room temp?  Am i doing something wrong?
Thanks!!

Posted: 21 January 2011 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Little Lottie! 

Welcome!  Looking forward to hearing about your baking!!!

It’s funny you ask this at this time, because there was just recently a post that tangented-off to just this topic!

I’ve found that I don’t have to rebeat Neoclassic buttercream, but here’s some info from Julie from this (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3120/) post that’s really detailed and helpful on this point:

Says Julie:

Here?s my take on this:  Some batches of buttercreams seem to do well without the re-beating, and some definitely need it.  I?m not sure I?ve totally worked out when it needs it and when it doesn?t, but I think it?s related to additions.  If you have a lot of water (creme anglaise, fruit puree, etc) in the additions, they will turn spongy more quickly and then need re-beating. 

In my experience the silk meringue needs re-beating 100% of the time (and this is what Ninuh is using), while vanilla mousseline (with only extract as the addition), almost never needs rebeating.  I?ve only made white chocolate mousseline once, but it did need rebeating (maybe because I used cocoa butter and vanilla, so there was no lecithin like real chocolate?).

I made a batch of pineapple neoclassic buttercream but goofed on making the puree by straining it, so that the resulting puree was more watery than the recipe called for.  When I added the full cup that the recipe calls for, it broke.  I was able to fix it with a little rum (Rose says that alcohol helps the emulsion), but the buttercream turned spongy pretty quickly compared to others and needed re-beating several times while I was frosting and piping on the cake. 

Sponginess can be a problem if you take too long to smooth the frosting that is already on the cake.  If it has turned spongy, it will deflate and soften when you spread/smooth it and will look darker than the buttercream that hasn?t yet turned spongy.  Then you either have to refrigerate it and spread a new layer of frosting on top, or scrape it off, hope there aren?t too many crumbs in it, re-beat, and start over.

Posted: 22 January 2011 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Thanks Anne!
I actually can’t wait to get back in the kitchen and start baking!  I will definitely post my creations…and hope to get a lot of feed back!

Posted: 22 January 2011 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

YaY!!  Looking forward to it!!!

What’s next on your list?

Posted: 22 January 2011 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Well - i have two major projects coming up -
1) my mother is retiring in Feb so her and my father what to go cross country!  So i am making a sheet cake with the US map on it!  Big feet - i know for a beginner but i will post it!
2) I am hosting a dinner party for close friends and co-workers - and each couple on their way out will get a 4” cake to say “thank you” - another big feet!

I am so exciting about cake decorating! It is a big change from my day job - a scientist employed with Merck!

Posted: 22 January 2011 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Sounds like big fun!!!!!  Please take pics and post in the Show ‘n’ Tell!