Adding Flour to Butter in laminated doughs
Posted: 22 January 2011 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-01-22

I was blessed with the gifts of The Cake Bible, The Bread Bible and The Pie & Pastry Bible this past Christmas and I have been having a lot of fun.

Today I am making Danish Pastry dough and see that the recipe says to work 1T of flour into the butter.  I don’t recall ever seeing a puff pastry, danish or croisannt recipe with that method before.  I plan on doing it as I trust the source completely grin but I enjoy the science of baking too so I am curious as to why.

Thanks,

Karin

Posted: 23 January 2011 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I have seen a number of croissant recipes that do this, I don’t think it’s that unusual.  The idea is to layer a rich dough with a lean dough.  Some recipes have the lean dough totally without fat and the rich “dough” totally without flour, but many either add a little butter to the lean dough or add a little flour to the butter. 

I think there’s a place where Rose mentions a reason for the flour in the butter, and I think it may have to do with easier rolling of the layered dough, but I’ll come back and edit this if I find it.

Anyone else?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 23 January 2011 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 24 January 2011 12:51 AM

a reason for the flour in the butter, and I think it may have to do with easier rolling of the layered dough

That’s what Sherry Yard says.  It helps break down the butter when rolling.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach