Anyone using more liquid in the cream cheese pie crust?
Posted: 24 January 2011 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Is anyone using more liquid (water/cream) than specified in Rose’s recipe? (1.5 Tablespoons of ice water or heavy cream).

I have increased this to 2.5Tb cream but still find it on the dry side.  I am using South African unbleached cake flour with 10g protein.
How wet can I make this pastry?

Posted: 24 January 2011 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

I do find that this needs more liquid if I make it with American AP flour, which is normally around 10-11% protein, instead of pastry flour/AP cut with cake flour/Wondra.  The other instance in which I find I need more liquid is if there hasn’t been enough layering/mixing of the butter cubes with the flour, so that there is a lot of loose flour remaining when adding the liquid. 

Also, just wanted to check that you are using more cream than water, the amount of cream is equal to the water plus vinegar, but you still include the vinegar.  For example, if the recipe calls for 1.5T of water and 1.5tsp of vinegar, then you sub 2T of cream for the water (1.5T + 1.5 tsp) and still include the 1.5tsp of vinegar.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 24 January 2011 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Thanks Julie! Yes I am still including the vinegar.
Rose’s superb dough in the videos looks like it has a lot more moisture than mine.
I am going to up my cream to 3Tb next time and see what happens!

Posted: 24 January 2011 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1094
Joined  2009-05-26

I up the cream too. It’s very dry here in Denver so I find that for recipes using liquid I need to make adjustments.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 24 January 2011 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  212
Joined  2009-10-01

I had to use extra liquid, both when using water, and then with cream. I finally realized that I had to go with what seemed right, so I kept adding til it was moister than the first few times I did it.

Posted: 25 January 2011 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Interesting. Did you find any big difference in the pastry quality between water and cream? I have only used cream which is Rose’s latest recommendation.