Stout/Guinness mousseline?
Posted: 26 January 2011 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

I’m trying to find a Guinness-flavored icing and cannot stand anything made with confectioner’s sugar. Do you think the water could be substituted for Guinness in the mousseline or just the flavoring? How about both? I’m grasping at straws here wink

Posted: 26 January 2011 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

I would just use guinness for the 3 oz liquor in the mousseline, not for the sugar syrup water.  It may burn and turn bitter (or should I say more bitter?).  Just out of curiosity, what will you pair this with?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 26 January 2011 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Hi Julie, yeah I am thinking technically speaking the Guinness-for-water idea has some scientific flaws in there somewhere. smile I’ll cook it down a bit first anyway.  I’ll probably just pair it with chocolate of some kind. . .

Posted: 26 January 2011 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

What an interesting flavor for buttercream.  You must report back and let us know how it turned out.

Posted: 27 January 2011 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2009-10-06

I recently came across this recipe by Tish Boyle for a Chocolate Guinness Cake if you’re interested.  It’s available on this website, http://leitesculinaria.com/2849/recipes-chocolate-guinness-cake.html  The .website does not include weights for the recipe, however, weights are listed in the book.

Posted: 08 February 2011 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Thank you Pop, I will add it my collection of stout recipes!

Well, the icing was okay but not what I had wanted. . . .it needs tweaking! The flavor wasn’t strong enough for me and I didn’t want to add too much liquid. It doesn’t reduce down well enough to a syrup type consistency that I was hoping for. Chocolate is an excellent pairing with Guinness.