2 of 2
January Citrus Bake-Off
Posted: 28 January 2011 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16
Bill - 27 January 2011 03:45 PM

I haven’t had a lot of success with Chiffon cakes…the always seem to fall out of the pan…I think I underbake slightly.

Bill, this one did fall out of the pan, but since it was resting upside down on a rack it only fell a fraction of an inch and was still usable.  I don’t think this one fell because of underbaking, it was 190F internal temp when I took it out and probably rose a little higher than that (I took the thermometer out as soon as the numbers slowed down, not when they stopped).  Chiffon does flatten slightly in the oven at the point when it’s fully baked.

I do think this one fell because of the non-stick pan, as it had pulled away almost completely intact.  When they fall out of the pan and are broken in pieces, with plenty still left sticking to the pan, that’s when I would suspect underbaking, as the structure isn’t set enough to hold it together during the cooling/shrinking period.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 29 January 2011 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Julie - 27 January 2011 12:54 PM

Thanks, Anne and lottie!

Here are a few more pics that fit this month’s theme, all renditions of the golden almond lemon cake from RHC, paired with the vanilla bean buttercream from the golden dream wedding cake.  I didn’t get a pic of the slices with the first cake, which was a teacher gift back in December, or of the whole cake with the second pic.  The third I think I’ve posted before, but thought I’d throw it in here as well.  It’s topped with glazed fresh blueberries.

AMAZING!!! You could be doing this professionally, if you wanted to. Just beautiful!

Posted: 29 January 2011 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

This is my submission for the January bake-off.  It is the golden genoise syruped with a grand marnier syrup.  ( I orginally was going to do just fresh squeezed orange juice sweetened with a little sugar.  I wanted to concentrate the juice so I threw it in the microwave.  It was so concentrated that there wasn’t any juice left.  LOL  I boiled it down to nothing! - I got involved with something else and forgot about it.  What was left was burnt.  Didn’t smell too nice either.)
So I improvised.

The filling is an orange fruit cloud cream made with seville orange curd, and the icing is the white chocolate mousseline.  I tried my hand at candied orange slices and they came out pretty good.  They were soft and sticky so I coated them in sugar.  ( I thought that candied orange slices were supposed to be hard)

I am bringing it to my cousins tonight for dessert.  Can’t wait to try it.

Image Attachments
orange cake.jpg

Posted: 29 January 2011 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow!  That’s a gorgeous cake!  You should bring it in a hat box.  It reminds me of the beautiful hats of the 40’s!!!  Can’t wait to hear how they love it!

Posted: 29 January 2011 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Anne.  It would have looked lovely presented in a hat box.  But I am running low on hat boxes these days.  I am happy to report that everyone loved the cake, especially the orange cream filling.  I have to admit, although I really liked the orange cream filling, I’m more of a chocolate or vanilla girl.  The filling could have been a little bit firmer, but it didn’t run out when I cut it.  I wonder if the gelatin reacts differently with curd than fruit puree.

This was the first time I made the golden genoise and I absolutely loved the texture of it.  It was very moist, and not at all soggy with the grand marnier syrup.  And as a bonus, I couldn’t taste any alcohol.  I was going to make an orange mousseline as the icing, but decided to go with the white chocolate.  I think it went really well with orange filling and the grand marnier syrup.  I will definitely be making the golden genoise again.

I felt kind of bad for my one cousin though, she brought dessert as well, a carrot cake ( she bought it at a high end bakery near her house and it did look good )  By the end of dessert, I had less than a 1/4 cake left and there was only one slice cut out of her cake. I’m just glad everyone enjoyed it.  They kept comparing it to Terry’s Chocolate Orange. ( you know the ball of orange chocolate that you hit against the table to break apart the pieces. )

Posted: 29 January 2011 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

What’s this Terry’s Chocolate Orange thing?  I’ve never heard of it!  You smash it on a table and it breaks ino pieces?  I can’t picture it at all! [Return from Googling]  Oh, I see, the segmennts come apart!  I pictured chocolate shards flying everywhere and little bits flying, etc.

I’m so glad everyone loved it!!!  The flavors all sound so perfect together, and, although I love carrot cake as much as the next person, let’s face it—your flavor combo is not one you run into often (not that it’s bizarre, it’s just not your usual everyday cake fare), so it’s a truly special treat for everyone there!

I see there is now another Golden Genoise addict among us!  Nice to hear about the alcohol flavor not coming through with the Grand Mariner syrup, too!

Thanks for all the interesting description, and, again, that is a beautiful, beautiful cake.  The way you arraged the organges and chocolate on top is just spectacular!

Posted: 30 January 2011 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, your cake is absolutely gorgeous!!!  You are an artist.  I love what you did, bringing the grand marnier in with the chocolate shards and white chocolate- gm and chocolate/white chocolate are divine together.  And the seville orange curd cream, I’m so happy thinking of you getting sevilles!  I went to several places this weekend and asked for Sevilles, but struck out.

Glad you like the golden gen, it’s a very nice cake, kind of like the pound cake equivalent of genoise.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 30 January 2011 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you Julie.  Yes, the golden genoise reminded me of a pound cake.  It was quite dense, but very delicious.  I didn’t get the full 2” height on the cake though, only about 1 1/2 inches.  Probably if I got the full 2” height it wouldn’t have been quite as dense.  As from my original post, I was hoping to use the orange juice to sprinkle on the cake like you did, but it didn’t work out as planned.  But I was quite happy with the grand marnier syrup.  No alcohol taste to the cake.

Posted: 01 February 2011 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, it’s absolutely gorgeous! I agree that you’re an artist. Love the decoration (the chocolate shards looks awesome). I’m so jealous of how smooth your bc is!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

2 of 2