Your opinion ... is it overkill?
Posted: 29 January 2011 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3130
Joined  2010-04-25

I’ve made a layer cake of the Perfect All American Chocolate Torte and (another) frosting of my own invention:  Failed Fudge Frosting.  Essentially, it is walnut fudge that didn’t set firmly enough, butter, walnut butter and ground almonds.  So the frosting is very chocolatey/walnutty and has some texture.

Should I make cherry pie filling for the top of the cake a la the Blueberry Swan Lake?  Hub says it’s a masterpiece as is (gotta love him), but naturally, i want to go on and on, to the point where it is baroque…(a tendency I must control).  I have some ganache I can pipe around the edges to hold it in.

Also, if I don’t do the above, should I pipe ganache stars around the bottom?  Otherwise, it’s just frosted, you know, plain.

Thanks for your thoughts!

—ak

Posted: 29 January 2011 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27
Anne in NC - 29 January 2011 05:41 PM

Should I make cherry pie filling for the top of the cake a la the Blueberry Swan Lake?  Hub says it?s a masterpiece as is (gotta love him), but naturally, i want to go on and on, to the point where it is baroque?(a tendency I must control).

Baking, like any craft, is more about personal growth than merely the production of useful items.  Do whatever stretches you as a baker and avoid the easy path.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 29 January 2011 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-08-16

post a picture!

Charles?  Personal growth?

Signature 

Follow Your Bliss

Posted: 29 January 2011 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

My opinion is never overkill LOL

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 30 January 2011 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3130
Joined  2010-04-25

Okay, so I’m taking the hub’s advice and leaving it alone.  He thought it already had enough textural and flavor action, and adding the extra textures and flavors would make it too much like several different individual things rather than a harmonious whole.  In one way, it’s the easy way.  On the other hand, it’s, of course, killing me not to wrench those cherries and ganache from the freezer and run amok!

‹‹ RHC - Cradle Cake      Ground Hog Day ››