Making Genoise ahead of time and freezing it
Posted: 31 January 2011 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I have a dinner with friends this Saturday and am thinking of making the White Genoise from TCB. I don’t have time on Saturday so I thought I’d make it on Wednesday, freeze it, and then decorate it Friday night. For the frosting, I want to try Rose’s suggestion of chocolate chip whipped cream. I’ve never made a cake ahead of time and freeze it, so I’m a bit nervous about it.

My questions are:
1. Should I syrup the cake before I freeze it? Will the flavor/syrup deteriorate?
2. Can I decorate the cake while it’s still frozen? Will this change the texture of the whipped cream?
3. Once decorated, the cake will then stay in the refrigerator overnight on Friday and during the day on Saturday. Is this enough time for the genoise to thaw? The dinner is Saturday night.

Thank you!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 31 January 2011 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds like a nice cake, can’t wait to see it! I was tempted by the angel food version of this in RHC, but a white gen version sounds even better.  What will you syrup it with?

Depending on how much time you have Wed and Fri, you could either bake the cake Wed and freeze it unsyruped as soon as it is mostly cool, or, go ahead and syrup it, fill it and frost it, then freeze.  Either way, wrap it in two layers of plastic and one layer of foil for freezing.

The Cake Bible version of this whipped cream is stabilized with gelatin and should freeze well, but the RHC version does not have gelatin and should not be frozen.  Just don’t try to make the whipped cream ahead of using it- that is, make it when you are going to frost the cake.

If you’re going to syrup and frost ahead of freezing you might add a little extra liqueur to guard against any evaporation during storage, maybe 1/2 - 1 T. 

If you have frozen the genoise without syrup or frosting, leave it on the counter for an hour so to thaw before syruping.  It’s great to have a chilled cake for frosting with whipped cream (a warmer one risks curdling the cream as you spread it around), but not a frozen one, as the cream will solidify before you have enough time to smooth it out (unless you’re a lot faster than I am).  It’s fine to pipe on either a frozen or chilled cake. 

24 hrs in the fridge is enough time to thaw, I’d also take it out of the fridge a couple of hours before serving.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 31 January 2011 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Julie, thanks for all the thoughts and comments! (I was secretly hoping that you’d reply as I know you’d have the answers - being a fellow genoise lover and all cheese).

I’m making this cake so I can use my stash of egg whites. I thought of angel food cake but I think layer cake look prettier. Plus, I have a decoration idea in mind that I want to try out. We’ll see if it turns out! smile.

For syrup, I’m planning on Cointreau. What do you think? Will that go along nicely with the choc chip whipped cream? Oh and I just read the recipe and the water in the recipe actually is to replace egg yolks. So for syruping do I just use Cointreau straight up? The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of alcohol - yikes! So it’ll be boozy like the chocolate bull’s eye - I think I’m going to cut back on the alcohol.

Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2011 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Now that I’ve looked at the recipe more closely, I see that it’s more sprinkled with liqueur than syruped.  I think you’ll be fine with 4T of cointreau, as you’re going to allow it plenty of time to mellow (at least 24 hrs), and it isn’t as strong as, say, rum.  Also, the 4T is only 1T more than what’s called for in the moist chocolate gen, which also has two 9 x 1.5 layers.  And I’ve made the moist chocolate gen with 3T of frangelico, and I couldn’t taste it, it definitely stayed in the background.  I don’t think it will be as boozy as the Bull’s Eye, which uses 6T for one 9x2 inch layer.  But if you’re worried, of course, you can always ignore my rather opinionated point of view!

Can’t wait to see how you decorate it!  surprised

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 31 January 2011 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

Can?t wait to see how you decorate it!

Ditto!!

Posted: 01 February 2011 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Julie, thanks for comparing the alcohol content with the moist choc gen. I’ve made it 3 times and it’s boozy enough when I syruped it with grand marnier. I could tell it’s been syruped with alcohol (and my guest can too). But it’s definitely not as boozy as the the bull’s eye.

I’m super excited about making this cake. Somehow it feels weird - should making a cake be this exciting? smile

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2011 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

Should making a cake be this exciting?

Yes!  Definitely!

Nothing quite as wonderful as being galvanized by cake planning!!!!