Cradle Cake and Cookies
Posted: 01 February 2011 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Latest cake from RHC: Cradle Cake. I ended up making it in the mini heart Wilton silicone pan - as Rose suggested silicone pan and I want to make 1/2 recipe.

The cake is pretty easy to make. So easy that I speed read the direction and dumped all the sugar in the food processor with the pecan - instead of saving some for the egg whites. I ended up adding 1 Tbsp for the egg whites, but too little to make it glossy like a meringue. As a result, the sides of the dacquoise kept slipping off the sides of the pan. Not a really big mistake, all it cause was the dacquoise is not as crunchy as it should be. Still tasty. Tastewise, it’s pretty good. It’s a bit too sweet to our liking.

I received my copy of Rose’s Christmas Cookies 2 weeks ago and already made the sugar cookie recipe twice grin . It is so good. And I love it also because the cookies held they shape very well, making it a perfect template for cookie decorating (I’m in a cookie decorating kick smile). I made these cookies as part of a present for my friend’s baby shower. Packed in a little glass jar with a bow, they made quite an impression. Everyone was so impressed and the mom-to-be said that they’re too pretty to eat.

Image Attachments
Cradle Cake2.jpgCradle Cake3.jpgCookies1_m_s.jpgCookies3_m_c_s.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 01 February 2011 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Beautiful Jenn!  The cookies are absolutely adorable.  Your friend was right. They are too pretty to eat.  It is funny that you just posted these because I was about to post my first baby shower cake that I made for a girl at work.

The cradle cake sounds delicious.  What a nice combination, cake and meringue.  I especially like the chocolate drizzled on top.

Posted: 01 February 2011 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Ditto! Ditto! Too pretty to eat!  Your pink and blue are beautiful shades, also, and I love the little flowers on the bibs—and how you made bibs out of round cookies!!!!!!

The cradles look really cute as hearts.  Happy to hear your impressions on the sweetness—we tend to like things not too sweet, and this is one I’ve been considering, so I’ll have to scope it closer!

Posted: 01 February 2011 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Oooo, Jenn,  those are lovely sugar cookies.  I like that recipe, too!  A dream to work with and so delicious.  Your friend must have been thrilled to get them. smile

I love the heart-shaped cradle cakes, too, I never would have thought to make them shaped but it worked out perfectly.  Thanks for the tasting notes, much appreciated.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 02 February 2011 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2010-12-28

That is a great presentation for the cookies!