1 of 2
My first baby shower cake.
Posted: 01 February 2011 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I was asked to do a baby shower cake for one of the nurses at work.  They are having the shower tomorrow but I am bringing it in this afternoon because I am working the afternoon shift and we are supposed to be getting a wicked snow storm tonight and tomorrow.  If I can make it home tomorrow morning, I won’t want to drive back to work in the storm.

I originally wanted to do a chocolate band around the cakes, but I failed miserably.  So I settled on using a mold to mold the chocolate around the cake in small bands.  I wish that I had colored the icing pink and made the molds out of white chocolate instead of the other way around because the icing is more cream colored than white. (  I used green and blacks white chocolate to make the white chocolate mousseline because that was all I had at the moment )  Oh well, at least it will taste good.

The baby and the angel wings were made out gumpaste and then painted.

Image Attachments
baby 1.jpgbaby 2.jpg

Posted: 01 February 2011 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Beautiful Liza!  Your piped shells make me crazy, they are so perfect!  The baby that is molded out of gumpaste and then painted—did you mold it out of gumpaste and then paint it?  If so, wow! That’s some serious molding!  I like the off-white, myself, as it’s more “old fashioned,” so it looks perfect to me!

What is the cake/frosting/filling itself?

Posted: 01 February 2011 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1092
Joined  2009-05-26

Oh my!!!!!! Liza, you are TRULY an artist! I bow in amazement at your work. So beautiful!!! I looked at the photos before reading the story and I thought the little baby on top was porcelain. Not kidding. It looks perfect.

I actually thought your color combo was great. Love the off white color of the frosting and I like that the off white is the dominant color - looks so elegant.

Your shell piping is so perfect as well. Will you ever held a decorating class? I want to sign up!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 01 February 2011 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, question, the horizontal pink things around the cake, what are those made of? They look so good and what an amazing detail.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2011 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you so much Anne and Jenn.

Anne, you give me too much credit.  I used a silicone mold for the baby and the angel wings.  Its pretty easy to do.  Push the gumpaste in and scape off the excess and pop it in the freezer for about 1 hour.  Voila, a perfectly shaped baby.  I just let them dry and then painted them with powdered food coloring.  I then lightly dusted them with pearl dust so they had a pearlesence sheen to them.  I could never mold them by hand.  good grief, my final results would probably look more like a lump ontop of a bowl.  LOL

The cake is the all ocassion downey yellow butter cake with a raspberry cloud cream filling.  I have made this combination so many times, but that is what she wanted.  I am going to be making my first wedding cake in September, so maybe I can convince the bride to go with something different.  ( again, another co-worker )

Jenn,  The pink things around the cake are just melted chocolate that I placed in a plastic mold that I had, which I put in the fridge to harden. I only had two molds so it took quite a long time to make all of them.  The chocolate itself was the merkens compound chocolate.  I know, its not real chocolate but it was more for decoration.  Besides, I spent a small fortune for the green and blacks white chocolate for the buttercream.

I’m am glad to hear that you both liked the color combination because I was starting to think it didn’t look very nice.

Posted: 01 February 2011 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Green & blacks chocolate is really expensive. Sometimes they’re on sale and I will buy several bars and store in the freezer.

Don’t know if you have Williams Sonoma nearby but I saw that they have E Guittard white chocolate ($15 for 1 lb box). It is real white chocolate (has cocoa butter, though no vanilla seeds). I wonder if it’s good and whether it’ll be a cheaper alternative. Just a thought.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2011 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Jenn.  I usually have Lindt white chocolate at home but I ran out of it a few weeks ago.  There is a store about 45 minutes from my house that sells it in 5 lb bags for about $37.00.  I just haven’t been able to get there.  I am hoping to go soon, as long as the weather is ok.  I also store all my white chocolate in the freezer.  There is a Williams Sonoma in Toronto, about 1 hour and 15 minutes away.  I would love to go there some day and take a look around.  I have heard good things about that store.

Posted: 01 February 2011 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, that is one glorious cake!!! I’m so happy to get to see it!  surprised

Yellow cake with raspberry cloud cream sounds wonderful, and the Green & Black’s white chocolate mousseline must have been divine. 

Have you tried the white chocolate vanilla bean buttercream from RHC?  It uses even more white chocolate!  When I did a three-tiered cake (looked nowhere near as good as yours!) I switched from the WCVB butterceam to the G&B white chocolate mousseline to save money (!). 

I think the ivory looks beautiful, and your piping and figures are picture perfect. 

Another option if you like making white chocolate mousseline, is to add cocoa butter (about 1/4 to 1/3 the amount of white chocolate) plus vanilla.  Perhaps you can find the cocoa butter in bulk?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 01 February 2011 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks so much Julie. 

Is the white chocolate vanilla bean buttercream the one used for woody’s lemon luxury cake? I made that one but I found the consistency quite soft as compared to the white chocolate mousseline, which I find is the perfect consistency for smoothing on a cake and for piping borders.  Usually I would have used all pure white chocolate for everything, buttercream and decorations but my Lindt white chocolate was gone.  I usually buy 10 pounds at a time and store it in the freezer.  I was kind of caught off guard with this cake because it was last minute and between working, family visiting from PEI, and a flood in my basement, I just couldn’t muster up the energy to drive 45 minutes to get the Lindt chocolate.  It was just one of those weeks.

Posted: 02 February 2011 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Liza - 02 February 2011 02:46 AM

Is the white chocolate vanilla bean buttercream the one used for woody’s lemon luxury cake?

Yes, that’s it.  In the wedding cake section, Rose uses a lemon oil (instead of lemon curd) version for the golden dream cake, and lists a vanilla version as an option for the deep choc passion.

I made that one but I found the consistency quite soft as compared to the white chocolate mousseline

Yup. I’ve piped with it on lemon cakes, shells mostly, and it’s worked well for those, but I agree it’s softer than mousseline.

I was kind of caught off guard with this cake because it was last minute and between working, family visiting from PEI, and a flood in my basement, I just couldn’t muster up the energy to drive 45 minutes to get the Lindt chocolate.  It was just one of those weeks.

Oh my, I can’t believe you made such a glorious cake with all that going on!  You are a wonder.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 02 February 2011 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

It was quite a sight in my kitchen monday evening.  Trying to get this cake done early before the snow storm and sobbing the whole way through.  The flood was from the laundry over flowing into a room off our family room downstairs because something was wrong with our septic system.  ( thank god it was only laundry water that came into the house )  My husband was having a fit and on the phone with a few septic system companies and my poor 71 year old mother was down stairs vaccuming up all the water with the shop vac. 

Needless to say the cake got done and delivered early, and our septic tank got pumped out before the storm hit.  ( it was completely full and everything is back to normal )  And I think I better take my poor mom out for a really, really nice dinner.  grin

Posted: 02 February 2011 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

OMG, Liza, that is so sad to picture you sobbing while you are making this beautiful cake!

I think you all need comfy sofas and cold compresses on your foreheads, with someone to pat your hands for a while—at least until the exhaustion wears off. 
Then a really nice dinner—out. 
And then go to a whole different place for dessert!
And then a game of baking-themed Scrabble lasting long into the night! (No sceptic-oriented words allowed for fear of having to get out the smelling salts.)

You are a marvel to have produced such a wonderful cake under such shocking conditions!

Posted: 02 February 2011 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Anne.  I’m sure sometime in my ripe old age I will laugh about this….maybe.  All that was going through my head was…....I can’t afford a new septic system now….at least $20,000. 

My mom has run off to her friends house for a couple of days….hmm, can’t imagine why? LOL

She really likes scrabble, so we will have to have a nice dinner out and a long night of scrabble playing when I pick her up.  ( So far its been crib or rummie in the evenings )  She did try to teach me another card game called Auction, but there were to many rules I just couldn’t keep up with them, and Bridge…well that’s a whole other story and I won’t even bother to try to learn that…I have watched her play that and if her partner plays the wrong cards…..well, lets just say I wouldn’t want to be her partner. grin

Posted: 02 February 2011 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Chocolate Scrabble- the letter tiles are made of chocolate!  Winner eats all!

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2011 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Chocolate Scrabble- the letter tiles are made of chocolate!  Winner eats all!

Oooooh, Julie, you have got something there!!!!!!

You could do checkers and chess pieces, also!  Eat ‘em as you jump ‘em!  OMG, can you imagine how sick you’d feel after eating a game full of chess pieces?  I can just see it: I know I CAN take your rook, I just don’t WANT to!  I haven’t finished eating your bishop yet, fer crimmeny sake!

Well, I’d risk it! Count me in!

a new septic system ... at least $20,000

Holy cow, Liza!  I’d have been sobbing, too.  Really glad to hear that was avoided!!!!
Mom’s a real serious bridge player, eh?  Yeah, watch out for being on mom’s team ... serious bridge players are, well, serious!!!!

Posted: 02 February 2011 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

It’s gorgeous! I’m sure it will be the hit of the party.

1 of 2