Black and White
Posted: 04 February 2011 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

For my nephew’s 1st birthday it was requested that I make a dog cake…I had no idea it would turn into this…

My sister couldn’t decide whether she wanted chocolate or white cake…so I did both.  Making 1.5 batches of the White Chocolate Whisper Cake and 1 batch of a Chocolate Brownie Cake recipe I have used for months.  I decorated the cake with the basic butter cream (usually I have been doing White Chocolate Mousseline, but a friend borrowed my candy thermometer for Christmas and has yet to return it!).  The dark frosting is a Chocolate Fudge Buttercream recipe I have been using for years.

The head was made from the White Chocolate Whisper Cake that I made in the Wilton “ball” pan.  The paws in the front of the dog was formed out of 2 8” cakes as well as the tail and part of the front of the body.  The main part of the body, and rear paws were from the Chocolate Brownie Cake.  I formed the eyes, ears and nose from fondant.

The total cake, frosting and all took me about 11 hours.

This weekend I will be making another cake or mini cakes for a circus/clown party for my other nephew turning 4!

Image Attachments
Dog Cake.jpgDog Cake 2.jpg

Posted: 04 February 2011 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow!  That is quite a project!  All those cakes, pans, various frostings and fondants!  It came out really cute and the dog looks like a really cute and plush stuffed animal—I’ll be surprised if the 1-year old doesn’t try to hug him!!!

Posted: 04 February 2011 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Love the cakes.

Posted: 04 February 2011 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

i am soooo impressed.  I would be afraid to attempt something like this.  Great Job!

Posted: 04 February 2011 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Great job of sculpting, that must have taken some planning/skill/time!  Love the spots- so friendly, and the tail up is a great touch, too. 

Was the little one thrilled? 

Can’t wait to see the next one. smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 04 February 2011 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

That is one adorable cake!  I bet your nephew was thrilled with it.  I love the idea of combining two different cakes into one cake. 

Your sculpting skills are quite impressive.  A job very well done.